New to the reef

welder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Well after being gone from saltwater (not Reef) for 27 years I decided it was time to start a reef tank. Here is what I have so far: 125 gal corner drilled tank with a 35 gal PM sump , reef octopus skimmer, 2 return pumps 1 iwaki A40 1 blueline 40X. 2 Ecotech MP40w ES wavemakers and a 72" current lighting system with T5s and 3 Halides. Complete RO/DA system.
I have leveled the tank and tested the plumbing, still need to add a auto-top system( idea?) Picked up the sand and the salt so almost ready to start making some RO water. I will be leaving for a couple weeks at the end of March and decided to wait until I return before I refill the tank. Do not have a chiller and do not know if I should buy one or consider LEDs. Seems like the LEDs would be cheeper over time but are they as good? If so which ones?
Looking forward to all the wisdom you all have aquired so I welcome your thoughts and advice. Was very sucessful with saltwter many years ago but this way different. Thank you all and I am taking alot of pics.

Welder1

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... Sounds like a good start. I'm sure there are many on here that will tell you to get LEDs, and I am not one of them. If you already have the Halides, I say why spend a bunch more money to change to LED. Put that money toward a chiller, which I feel is a good idea no matter what lights you are using.

Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hoo! Welcome aboard!!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome to R2R!! Looking forward to seeing you build!

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had Halides, but I've been told they are the closet ting to natural light. I would keep them and get a chiller, you'll need it with the MH's.

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!
I say LED all the way. Not only are they as good if not better IMO than T5 and MH they are WAY cheaper to run and no chiller needed (in most cases)
Just get good quality units for they type of critters you plan to keep.
I went with less bright ones as I am not a SPS guy so for my LPS and my softies less is just fine :smile: (and cheaper)
This is just my opinion though....you no doubt will gets LOTS of those

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I had halides and now I have LED's. I love the LED's way more than the halides.

OP
OP
welder1

welder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone

I will start with the halides as I already have them. I guess for now the need is to educate myself on the many different types of corals as I do not even know where to begin. However I do have a reef store pretty close and I know they will be great help. What should I start with? what would be the eaist to care for starting out?

Jer 29:13

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of starting out easy with something you don't really want, I would figure out what you like, and start with the easiest of what you like.

Brent \><{{{{*>

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start with the halides as I already have them. I guess for now the need is to educate myself on the many different types of corals as I do not even know where to begin. However I do have a reef store pretty close and I know they will be great help. What should I start with? what would be the eaist to care for starting out?

Jer 29:13

Here is an article that talks about the best beginner corals.

Beginner Reef Keeping Corals | Successful Reef Keeping

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! A lot of what you can have in your tank will depend on the size of the tank.

OP
OP
welder1

welder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. It has been 2 yrs since I first filled my aquarium to test the plumbing for any leaks. It has sat empty ever since. My wife was going to put Chrismas decorations in it so I decided it was time to put some corals and fish. So in January I filled it with salt water live sand and crushed coral. It sat for 5 weeks. This is where this gets interesting..... I found someone downsizing from 1-120 gal tank and a 220 gal tank to just the 220 gal tank. So I purchased his 6 yr old 120 gal reef tank 2 weeks ago. He lives in MD and I am on the coast of NC. My grandson and I rented a cargo van drove to Md and picked up everything. Got there early sarturday morning and put everything into brute trash cans and plastic tots. keep water on everything all the live rock and corals and one trash can with fish. Did I say a lot of fish? 11 to be exact. We left Md at 1:00 pm and arrived in NC at 8:30. (all the snow slowed us up a little) Took 1/2 my water out of my tank. I had already made sure my tenp. and salinity where the same as His. Began placing the live rock and corals. By 2:00 am I was ready to transfer allthe fish( I had been acclumating since my return home with a 1/4 inch hose drip. 3 am off to bed.

OP
OP
welder1

welder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef pics 2.jpg

Attachments

• 3rd day.jpg
    3rd day.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Kitchen side.jpg
    Kitchen side.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 221
  • Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 186

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back