blukorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all blukorr here, I've been dreaming, researching and saving for five years to break into the salty side of the hobby! I've saved up around 5 grand to get my dream tank and equipment and I feel it's time to pull the proverbial trigger and start buying things. I've seen that a lot of quality equipment posted for sale here on r2r for a nice discount, and the penny pincher in me finds it hard to resist! Though I feel I should improve my forum score before I start reaching out. I'll be setting up a 10 gallon tank next week with a Xport brightwell brick dosed with microbacter7 feeding with Dr. Tim's amonia chloride, so as I amass my equipment I'll have a head start on the cycle process. Any cheat codes for setting up a brand new system would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Blukorr

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI, Welcome to the reef... :)
slow and steady...;)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey and welcome to the forum and Glad you joined.
There is a hello and welcome thread that will get better exposure -
and there are plenty of opinions on used equipment - you will want to ensure where it has come from and what its history has been - my advice is glass, sty and and lights are the first things i invest in assuming they will be with me the longest. Pumps and wave makers can be swapped out over time

best of luck with your cycle and take your time

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a headstart on the cycling and maturity process live rock would help... especially in such a small tank

OP
OP
blukorr

blukorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey and welcome to the forum and Glad you joined.
There is a hello and welcome thread that will get better exposure -
and there are plenty of opinions on used equipment - you will want to ensure where it has come from and what its history has been - my advice is glass, sty and and lights are the first things i invest in assuming they will be with me the longest. Pumps and wave makers can be swapped out over time

best of luck with your cycle and take your time
Yes! I am planning on a 120 planet aquarium bare bones tank, drilling it myself for a ghost overflow to save money. I know the price of a reef ready tank is comparable but I'm worried about the large overflow box effecting flow throughout the tank. I know a pipeline welder in my town that wants to build the stand for me. I told him how much weight and shear force to account for (~4,000 lbs) overkill but I'd rather that then a catistriphic failure lol. Lights are my next purchase, I want 3 xr15's to start then I'll add reefbright led strips once the tank is grown out. Flow I feel is the most important so I don't want to cheap out there, I'm planning on two mp40's and two mp10's with the possibility of a gyer in the future if I have deadspots. 40 gallon breeder for the sump with sponge's as the "baffles" and I think I want to go with a ecotech l2 pump. I know I'm asking alot with the budget I have but I think I can swing it if I'm careful and patient.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes! I am planning on a 120 planet aquarium bare bones tank, drilling it myself for a ghost overflow to save money. I know the price of a reef ready tank is comparable but I'm worried about the large overflow box effecting flow throughout the tank. I know a pipeline welder in my town that wants to build the stand for me. I told him how much weight and shear force to account for (~4,000 lbs) overkill but I'd rather that then a catistriphic failure lol. Lights are my next purchase, I want 3 xr15's to start then I'll add reefbright led strips once the tank is grown out. Flow I feel is the most important so I don't want to cheap out there, I'm planning on two mp40's and two mp10's with the possibility of a gyer in the future if I have deadspots. 40 gallon breeder for the sump with sponge's as the "baffles" and I think I want to go with a ecotech l2 pump. I know I'm asking alot with the budget I have but I think I can swing it if I'm careful and patient.
check with planet , if drilling yourself will void warranty... ;)

OP
OP
blukorr

blukorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a headstart on the cycling and maturity process live rock would help... especially in such a small tank
My only concern about live rock is possible pests that come with it. I know as a noob it's inevitable that I will get pests, but I would like to keep that at a minimum of at all possible lol

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check to make sure a mp 40 will hold on a 120 gallon tank. They are rated for glass thickness. Congratulations on saving the cash rather than using credit I sense a bright future for your tank

OP
OP
blukorr

blukorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check to make sure a mp 40 will hold on a 120 gallon tank. They are rated for glass thickness. Congratulations on saving the cash rather than using credit I sense a bright future for your tank
Thank you, I will make sure to look into that! Awesome name btw, I operate trains for a living

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining Welcome Home GIF

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern about live rock is possible pests that come with it. I know as a noob it's inevitable that I will get pests, but I would like to keep that at a minimum of at all possible lol
In a small tank like that hitchhikers aren't as much of a problem since they aren't usually too difficult to catch if you do happen to get any that are undesirable...imo the pros far outweigh the cons

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back