OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a fair price for a clam? Looks like Maxima are the most expensive. I have sort of ruled out Sqamosa due to the colors. One of my LFS who is known to be expensive has a 5" Maxima for $189 which is more than I want to pay for my first attempt at raising a clam. I am hoping to find one that is around 3-4".

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess price is all about what is hot and what is not in this hobby or in the case of corals the latest clever name. I don't mind spending the $ but not until I think I can keep one alive. What is your favorite?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are cheaper when they are smaller due to survival rates as well. My personal favorite is squamosa. They can develop nice colors over time plus the blue variants are beautiful but pricey. This was one we had for many years that developed blue spots.
20180717_213851.jpg

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ORA aquacultured maxima. He’s doing great and was very cheap. I would recommend that over dropping hundreds on some big clam that’s just going to get bigger and bigger.
I have a maximus from ORA as well. I highly recommend them

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are cheaper when they are smaller due to survival rates as well. My personal favorite is squamosa. They can develop nice colors over time plus the blue variants are beautiful but pricey. This was one we had for many years that developed blue spots.
20180717_213851.jpg
For whatever reason I thought that all Squamosa were brown/yellow combinations. That is a beautiful specimen. I guess I better not rule them out after all.

What is considered "small" and are there any good online stores to buy from if I cannot find one locally?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Assure your parameters are optimum and stable before the investment and know who the enemies and predators of clams are and assure none are present.

th

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure your parameters are optimum and stable before the investment and know who the enemies and predators of clams are and assure none are present.

th
The tank has been up and running for 1.5 years and the params are rock solid and have been for quite a while. I have testing records going back to day one. Light is good for the corals at my present settings but who knows if a clam will be happy. I have the room to crank it up another 10% if necessary without bleaching, since I am only at 45% blues and 15% white. That gives me 150-160 par at the sand bed and 250-270 at the upper levels where my sps is.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to +1 to the derasa being a good, hardy “beginner” clam. I’ve had great luck with them, and only marginal success with maximas... they are beautiful but much more temperamental IME.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not crocea or maxima? My wife who is the reefkeeeper does not like browns and yellow colors, blues reign in this adobe:)

Go with a derasa. This was my first clam, bought one around 3inches, its now 5 and growing FAST. I wasnt a fan of the pattern and brown, but they are hearty, and thats whats most important. You can always get another clam, I'd go with the easy one first, see how it does, then try a maxima. That was my plan, but I love my derasa at this point, I have no interest in getting another clam...

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a derasa. This was my first clam, bought one around 3inches, its now 5 and growing FAST. I wasnt a fan of the pattern and brown, but they are hearty, and thats whats most important. You can always get another clam, I'd go with the easy one first, see how it does, then try a maxima. That was my plan, but I love my derasa at this point, I have no interest in getting another clam...
The brown/yellow coloration was my concern but it appears they do come in other colors so this may be the best option for us.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The tank has been up and running for 1.5 years and the params are rock solid and have been for quite a while. I have testing records going back to day one. Light is good for the corals at my present settings but who knows if a clam will be happy. I have the room to crank it up another 10% if necessary without bleaching, since I am only at 45% blues and 15% white. That gives me 150-160 par at the sand bed and 250-270 at the upper levels where my sps is.

Sounds like you deserve a clam !!!!!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My derasa is actually very pretty. It has an iridescent shine to it and actually looks blue in aquarium lighting.

f06a8ad3de48c08ebc035e7adb8d89d9.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back