New To This

Dragoon33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm new this I was just given a 125 to start a coral tank and I need help knowing what I really need and what I really don't need I have been looking and getting confused . So if any of you can help me this would be great full for tip and help .

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were able to list what you have and what you wanted to do for a tank, then I bet we could help you out. :)

A bit more info on the tank and equipment would definitely help though.

OP
OP
D

Dragoon33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok equipment I have none so far that is what I am looking help on I have the tank and the stand that is all I have at the moment

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! So, you have a clean slate to start with. Just take your time, that is the first thing. Planning goes a long way in how successful the tank is long term. Next question then is, is the tank reef ready? Meaning, does the tank have any overflow boxes in them so that you can run filtration, a sump, inside the stand?

OP
OP
D

Dragoon33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! So, you have a clean slate to start with. Just take your time, that is the first thing. Planning goes a long way in how successful the tank is long term. Next question then is, is the tank reef ready? Meaning, does the tank have any overflow boxes in them so that you can run filtration, a sump, inside the stand?
Well I have none of that all I want to make sure I do right .

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first if you plan on running the tank as a reef system I would say that you need a sump and a skimmer.
If your tank is not Reef Ready (holes drilled in it) Then you can either get the tank drilled or get an external over flow to get the water to the sump and skimmer. You will also need a return pump to get water back to the tank.
Inside the tank you will want to get some powerheads or wave makers so that you have enough flow in the tank.
Live rock or base rock at 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per gallon. Sand for a sand bed if you want to go that way or you can run the system as a barebottom (No sand).
Adequate lighting for the corals you want to keep.
I would suggest you look in the members tank section to find similar tank sized build and see what other folks have done in their set ups.

Back