"New To You" Reefing methods and equipment that you are on the the fence about trying?

Are you up to trying out new Reefing Methods and Equipment on your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 361 64.9%
  • NO

Votes: 86 15.5%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 105 18.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We all don't have to "reef" the same way because there are so many methods and proven ways to keep and maintain a healthy saltwater reef aquarium! We have so many choices! But therein lies some of the problem that we face that can cause us to question the reefing methods and equipment we use, or don't use, as well as question if we should try another way or not. With that in mind let's talk about it!

1. What "NEW TO YOU" Reefing methods and equipment are you on the the fence about trying?

2. What is something NEW you have tried that has worked well for you?

A "Triton Method" Reef Tank
full-tank-shot.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye parameter meter: if you want to stop getting misled about what free ammonia does, that will stop it for a couple hundred bucks.

at anytime though if one prefers to use zero dollars and simply predict accurately what the ammonia will be in any display tank system based on a cycling chart and the number of days they’ve had water in the tank, I recommend that because it’s free and doesn’t require tedious tuning and trimming.

but if someone wants a gadget that causes cycle article authors to have to rewrite the rules, because for once we can see that free ammonia cycle charts aren’t lying, then a seneye will provide that for a couple hundred bucks.

you’ll get a par meter onboard at least.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye parameter meter: if you want to stop getting misled about what free ammonia does, that will stop it for a couple hundred bucks.

at anytime though if one prefers to use zero dollars and simply predict accurately what the ammonia will be in any display tank system based on a cycling chart and the number of days they’ve had water in the tank, I recommend that because it’s free and doesn’t require tedious tuning and trimming.

but if someone wants a gadget that causes cycle article authors to have to rewrite the rules, because for once we can see that free ammonia cycle charts aren’t lying, then a seneye will provide that for a couple hundred bucks.

you’ll get a par meter onboard at least.
I just ordered a seneye reef this morning. Can’t afford an apex and trident although would give a limb for that setup.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just swapped out my BRS rebranded Inkbird for a Bayite heater controller, at the recommendation from another R2R member. Can you spot the time it was changed out?

TempChange.png

A few years ago, with my then 'new' tank, I went Triton. Didn't work out for me.

I rebooted the tank, and went full blown Zeovit. Neat system, but maintenance intensive, and EXPENSIVE! I wouldn't say so much that it didn't work for me, more that I found myself unwilling to maintain the effort level required.

Eventually, I went back to my old tried and true 'Greybeard' method. Skimmer, Macro Algae (It's in a reactor these days), weekly 10% water changes, no sox or anything like them.

Been around this game for a long time, tried lots of different kinds of systems. I'm happy where I'm at, though I may one day put sand back in the tank. Bare bottom is awesome for flow, makes water changes real easy, but I find that I miss my sand dwelling critters.

Would I try an entirely new method? I'd have to see lots of evidence on how it works first. Will I try new gear? Oh yeah, if it fits my methods.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes because I recently installed an Apex. I love this thing more than my family!! It is so awesome I I wish I would have gotten it from the start. I also did a Triton test and found that iodine and potassium are low in my system so I started dosing those day before yesterday. But I am still going to do things the way I have been, Just with the addition of an ICP test performed every other month or so.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd been out of the show since '97.
back in 2018.
led lighting was new to me. (yes)
algae scrubbers (not DIY) were new to me. (yes)
DIY aquascapes with zero live/dry rock in the system was new to me. (yes)
dc pumps were new to me. (yes)
digital test kits were new to me. (yes)
auto everything was new to me. (not a chance)
hobbiest internet/basement sales were new to me. (yes)
internet "my ways the right/only way" was new to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure this is "new" but I recently started following Andre's Reef Moonshiner program. Trace elements only seem new because we have a way to test for them now but in reality, they are a time tested recipe for success.

As for new equipment, I am over that stage personally. I won't continue to be a beta tester for these companies when it is my own money and pets on the line. For example, all the new auto testers. Do I want one? You bet ya. Will I be their guinea pig so they can find all the problems and come out with v2 in a year? Nope.

I am also the "crazy old guy" yelling at everyone to get off my lawn. Ditched LEDs. Ditched the new app controlled pumps. About to ditch bare bottom, dry rock setups. It is clear to me that nature works the way it does for a reason. Only a fool would think we could do it better long term. Give me ocean rock, halides, temperature swings, "dumb" pumps, and all the old school stuff. It works better. But I will be keeping my Apex to monitor things ;)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far!!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "No". I've tried a lot of processes, products, and gadgets over the years. I've killed a lot of things and spent a lot of money trying to learn how to build a successful reef tank. My new 90 is a product of the lessons learned from those experiences. While it's too early to know for sure if I've done it right this time, I'd be hard pressed to make any changes.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing things more old-school than ever. Many "new things" have come and gone, yet I still find myself mostly following the Berlin method.

overview.gif

The only new thing I am going to try is the Alkatronic, because alkalinity is the one parameter where I think frequent testing is valuable.

BrandonP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not so much on the fence about it, but I will be putting a kalkwasser stirrer on my tank for dosing alkalinity and calcium. I have previously mixed kalkwasser in with my ATO reservoir with great results. I also purchased a PM1 unit and pH probe to monitor the pH within the kalk stirrer with hopes to be able to tell when the kalk powder needs replenishing.

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting for a better controller. In this smartphone era, there is so much potential to design something able to simplify the boring part of the hobby an improve our experiences. I am not sure if the market size is too small for other companies to be interested on more updated and modern controller. Every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a Neptune system I have the feeling that something better most be coming. Currently I am trying the hydros 4 controller, it is not there yet and Neptune feels too outdate (IMHO)

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an Apex during the sale last week. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet, though, because I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I start unplugging things. I'm a bit nervous!

Also recently tossed my InkBird and switched to the Innovative Marine heater and controller. Went from as much as a 5F temperature swing to less than half a degree. Let's hope it has a long lifespan because it seems to work really well.

As for changing methods, I've been considering changing from running carbon in a reactor and simply putting a bag in my filter caddy. I'd really like to get that chamber back for other things but I'm just not sure it will work as well. Decisions, decisions!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an Apex during the sale last week. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet, though, because I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I start unplugging things. I'm a bit nervous!

Also recently tossed my InkBird and switched to the Innovative Marine heater and controller. Went from as much as a 5F temperature swing to less than half a degree. Let's hope it has a long lifespan because it seems to work really well.

As for changing methods, I've been considering changing from running carbon in a reactor and simply putting a bag in my filter caddy. I'd really like to get that chamber back for other things but I'm just not sure it will work as well. Decisions, decisions!
Yea IM heater, also run carbon in a bag passively.

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still learning and evolving and trial,error is still settling in for a good knowledge base. I've tried many different methods... some day I'll get a good combo of what does and doesn't work for my reef... nothing too drastic has occurred so far. Except my salinity was mistakenly 45.9ppt! Poorly calibrated digital refractometer.

Back