New Torch Coral Healthy?

Tyler N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I finally got my first corals for my first tank! Thanks so much to everyone here that has helped me with questions as I have gone along. I picked up these Torch corals yesterday and got them added. I know they like high flow, but wanted to make sure this wasn't *too* high? They were VERY extended at the LFS, I was also curious as to how long to expect them to be a bit retracted after adding?

Just wanna make sure I'm doing everything right for them! Thanks, all!

20221121_104426.jpg

Attachments

• 20221121_104533.mp4
    25 MB

Coral-vault

DFW's Premier Aquatics Dealer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't see the behind the tentacle stretching then its not to much flow. Now if its ripping from side to side then its to much flow. Sometimes the torches need some time to stretch out again. If the phosphate levels are high then the tentacle will get fatter and not stretch as far. If the tank levels are cleaner the tentacle will get skinnier and longer. There is also a light to levels balance but that is something you need to play with in your tank to find out where the coral is happiest.

Hope this helps

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by posting your tank parms. Torches do not like high flow. In review of the footage I watched. If that was a full cylce of water movement and that is what they are hit with every 12 seconds. IMO. That is too much flow. The big gust that hits them is ok if your cyclic random pattern eases off enough for the coral to fully expand out and then if they are hit with a high gust here and there its ok.

OP
OP
Tyler N

Tyler N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't see the behind the tentacle stretching then its not to much flow. Now if its ripping from side to side then its to much flow. Sometimes the torches need some time to stretch out again. If the phosphate levels are high then the tentacle will get fatter and not stretch as far. If the tank levels are cleaner the tentacle will get skinnier and longer. There is also a light to levels balance but that is something you need to play with in your tank to find out where the coral is happiest.

Hope this helps
Thank you!

OP
OP
Tyler N

Tyler N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by posting your tank parms. Torches do not like high flow. In review of the footage I watched. If that was a full cylce of water movement and that is what they are hit with every 12 seconds. IMO. That is too much flow. The big gust that hits them is ok if your cyclic random pattern eases off enough for the coral to fully expand out and then if they are hit with a high gust here and there its ok.
Temp:78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1
KH: 175
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 411
Magnesium: 1416

Yeah, I am using an MP40 in the tank and running it on the Low Tidal Swell preset setting. I was concerned it might be too much based on the movement. I will give them a few more days to see if they open up further or stay shorter and adjust from there.

Thank you!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them 2-3 days to fully open up.. if they don’t move them to a lower spot with less flow and see if they open up.. my hellfire likes it better in lower random flow.. ny nicks seems to like high flow! It wouldn’t open for me till I moved it in a high flow location near my sps lol

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would go to to the second yellow setting. I believe its call lagoon. Try it out. Will be much better for now.

Also. With 1 nitrate the torches will not make it. At least get them to 10ppm.

Your phosphates are zero. That's not that great either but it depends on what you measured it with. I found that with dry rock tank with low detectable phosphates and good nitrates works ok with no algae issues but you should try to get them up some as well. I'm happy if I can get .03ppm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back