New unknown creature in tank??? Anyone know what it is??...

ReefCrusader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this little guy in the tank a few months ago. I left him in and was keeping an eye on him until I could find out exactly what it was as it wasn't creating any harm to the tank, fish, verts, coral, etc. It appears to be some type of anemone (who doesn't want a new anemone?? hence why I left it in), however, skimming online, through forums, reading books, talking to other aquarists... I can't seem to find exactly what this creature is...?

It appears to be some type of anemone. Meaty flesh base, clear upper body with clear tentacles and bright green tips on the end of each tentacle. It also has (as is somewhat visible from the photo) two antenna like branch arms that extend from its center body?...

It is super small, approx. the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil. It moves around extremely slow, due to it's size. It has grown a little over the last few months. Do I leave it in? Take it out? Anyone know what it is?

The closest thing I have found that it resembles is the: Pacific Orange Ball Corallimorph. except none I have seen have these two looking long tentacles branching out from it?..

20210520_093639.jpg 20210520_093704.jpg 20210520_093725.jpg 20210520_093757.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReefCrusader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dbichler - It does appear similar. Probably is. I'll leave it in the tank for awhile. Hopefully the bigger it gets the easier it will be to truly determine what exactly it is. Seems ball anemones (which I guess are a type of mushroom) don't seem to be bad to have. Have you ever seen anything similar with the tentacle looking things? That is what's throwing me off...

OP
OP
R

ReefCrusader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe that’s a ball anemone. It does appear similar. Probably is. I'll leave it in the tank for awhile. Hopefully the bigger it gets the easier it will be to truly determine what exactly it is. Seems ball anemones (which I guess are a type of mushroom) don't seem to be bad to have. Have you ever seen anything similar with the tentacle looking things? That is what's throwing me off...

OP
OP
R

ReefCrusader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball Anemone, they look great. I have some in random places in my aquarium. Keep finding them, I would imagine they can become pesty but for now I don't worry about it.
I'm pretty sure you guys are right about it being a ball anemone. I'm gonna let it chill and see how big it gets. Not a bad hitchhiker to have.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dbichler - It does appear similar. Probably is. I'll leave it in the tank for awhile. Hopefully the bigger it gets the easier it will be to truly determine what exactly it is. Seems ball anemones (which I guess are a type of mushroom) don't seem to be bad to have. Have you ever seen anything similar with the tentacle looking things? That is what's throwing me off...

It is a ball anemone.
There are different kinds but the ones mostly seen in the hobby are on the smaller side.
So most likely he wont grow much.

They can multiply but usually do not and usually disappear or end up under a rock.
They are not considered a pest and most think they are kind of cool.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back