New vs Used Dslr camera

jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to buy my first DSLR camera. I don't know that much about camera's. Looking at both new and used camera's but I don't want to break the bank. I am looking to start out with something easy to use and then upgrade later on. Any information or help on this matter would be very appreciated.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you,I would get one of the Canon Rebel Xsi cameras!You can get a very nice used one for around $350-$400 locally(Missouri).Its a basic camera,not as advanced as what alot of people use,but you can get some BA images from that camera!

SoccerBag uses this camera if I am not mistaken!Its a great lil camera!

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a used body, then go out and spend the dough you saved on a great lens. I have never used Canon, but have had great results with my Nikon D60. But I will say that photography is another hobby that will break the bank. Almost as bad as this the boxes filled with water.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenrockwell.com gives some good information about all types of cameras. The nice thing is, his reviews are not biased. He reviews from point and shoots up to pro level cameras and also has great info for beginners and pros.

Just be careful if you go the used route. If you do buy used buy from adorama.com or b and h. They inspect and test before they sell something.

Hope this helps some.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenrockwell.com is a OK place to start, but I hold alot against him...he is not a proffesional! He is a engineer from my understanding, he never went to school for proffesional photography...

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of good points above. I would do some research on them. I agree with Demonic above - if you can find a solid used body, I would go that route. The lenses can be expensive enough alone. There are so many nice Canons and Nikons on the market right now. You can't go wrong with either brand. I would ask around and see if any of your friends have a nice dslr. Borrow it and play around with it. It's all personal preference.

As Austin said above, I do have Canon Rebel Xsi and it's a great camera. It is an older model and does not have HD video or any of the newer features but I have a few nice lenses and it takes great pics. There are plenty of folks here who have Nikons and love them. Lots of options. Just depends on what type of features you are looking for really.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to thank all of you for the advice you guys gave me it was very helpful. I am going to look around for a good used body and spend the money on a good lens. What would be the best lens to look for.

Thanks
Jimmy

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll depend on which brand body you get. If you get a Canon, save up for a Canon 100mm Macro. Find a used one, test it out. Don't worry about the new 100mm L series, just get the old 100mm Macro. Another good lens would be the Canon 50mm 1.8 (Nifty Fifty) This is an excellent prime lens, at a low price, typically around $90.00 new and worth much more. For a good "all around lens," look for the 18-200mm IS.

If you go Nikon, they have an exceptional 90mm Macro and I think a 105mm Macro

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tameron has a great 90mm lens that I would look at it first!Its lower in price aswell,and there is a member here who is using that lens,and loves it,and I love it to! ;-)

jlt23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the canon loyalty program. You basically send in a broken canon camera (can be point and shoot or dslr) and you can buy a refurbished camera at a discount from the refurbished price. I was able to get a 5D Mark II for somewhere around $900 off the brand new price. The camera was basically new and I sent in a broken point and shoot that I got for free.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back