New way to do vortech style pumps?

thamnasteroid

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2020
Messages
3,666
Reaction score
3,012
Location
US
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have invented a new way to do vortech style pumps. My design is basically a glorified axial flux motor.
Screenshot 2022-09-02 155427.png

My design uses 2 axially magnetized magnets to hold the wet and dry side in place. I chose to use a 4 pole magnet in the rotor in this design because a 2 pole magnet might be attracted to the coupling magnet and try to move to it, which could cause shaking. The 4 pole magnet aims to stop this by having the same poles on both sides, so that the rotor magnet being attracted to the coupling magnet would cancel out. The stator coils are overlapping and are wound over 3 stator teeth.
What do you think about this idea?
 
I think I have invented a new way to do vortech style pumps. My design is basically a glorified axial flux motor.
Screenshot 2022-09-02 155427.png

My design uses 2 axially magnetized magnets to hold the wet and dry side in place. I chose to use a 4 pole magnet in the rotor in this design because a 2 pole magnet might be attracted to the coupling magnet and try to move to it, which could cause shaking. The 4 pole magnet aims to stop this by having the same poles on both sides, so that the rotor magnet being attracted to the coupling magnet would cancel out. The stator coils are overlapping and are wound over 3 stator teeth.
What do you think about this idea?
A "crudely conceived idea" LOL!

 
I think that if they haven't patented it before, Ecotech will patent this as soon as they see it.
I think the method Ecotech uses to spin the propeller is to use a magnetic coupling. My method is to put the rotor of the motor into the wet side.
 
The ecotech patented design does use magnetic coupling, but that is not the unique feature of the patent. It is that the attraction of the magnetic coupling is the mounting force that retains the wetside in the tank.

Your design to pass the induction feild through the tank wall is something I (and I’m sure many others) have pondered. I suspect the practical issue is the thickness of the tank wall. You would need to create a VERY powerful field to drive across that large of a gap.
 
Your design to pass the induction feild through the tank wall is something I (and I’m sure many others) have pondered. I suspect the practical issue is the thickness of the tank wall. You would need to create a VERY powerful field to drive across that large of a gap.
I guess the question then is how strong are/can you make the electromagnet coils in the motor.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new