New ways to contact Dr. reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish. My basic order was filled fairly fast as the fish I wanted are common. If you want difficult to acquire or difficult expert fish to QT then it seems natural that the wait could be a long time.
It was a couple purple dottybacks, halloween urchin, and a cleaner shrimp. I probably just got lost in the holiday shuffle, but it's been a bugger trying to keep nitrates off zero with only a pair of clowns (even with overfeeding). He did respond via DM, and it should be shipping next week

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why ?
Is it a hard to aquire fish. Full Quarantine and conditioning shouldn't take 4 months.
Not taking a jab. I am an interested customer.
I hate to quarantine wrasse and expert only fishes so was thinking of buying from here.
But 4 months is a long wait. Like a custom tank wait.
That's why I stopped ordering from him; it always took AGES and one of the times he only sent one of the three fish I ordered without letting me know ahead of time.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Market is pretty dry, its extremely hard to find fish even common ones now a days.
Also if anyone had ever qted their own fish, you should know what pain you have to go through and if thing sgo wrong you only lose 2, 3 or 6 fish in 1 qt, Now times that pain 20 times.,
I have 4 tanks (50 gal) each plumbed to 1 sump making it 1 system. I have 10 systems like that. If bacterial infection spreads or som aersol disease spreads, I dont lose 5 or 6 fish, I lose entire lots,
I had to shut down many times, bleach and start over in last 5 years. This Nov i lost entire inventory to bacterial infection. December we didnt ship because fedex was messing up causing major losses (doa)
Regarding why I may send you just a fish or 2 sometimes is because if i dont these fish will die stuck in 8x8 section, I rather send them to their homes and by the way i dont charge shipping if i split the order, My first goal and passion is to provide the fish best for its survival.
I have said this may times over, I am not in this for money. I have 2 businesses and a full time gov level contrat job. I do this for the passion I have for the hobby.

Its very simple math, If you were to start with 5 or 6 fish and you are in the middle of qt and 1 fish or 2 die, You have to either buy them again and start your qt time all over again or dump them and finish what you have and redo another qt for the remaining fish. If you even do that once that puts you at 2 months before you have all your fish in main tank.

When hobbyist qt fish their chances of getting a disease in qt is 50% dealing with 5 or 6 or 10 fish, When i qt fish my chances of disease is 75%-90% as i am putting 60-80 fish in the same system.

Its a different ball game when it comes to qtying commercially this is why there is not a single commercial company doing it on such large scale, Ones that do are very limited to what they qt and how many they do.

Also I am very carefuly of my reputation when it comes to fish and their health so I take my time otherwise there will be a flood of neg reviews and comments about me in no time.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying, but mike have the best service not to mention the best price hands down. As he said, he is doing it for the hobby. QT fish takes time, heck it took weeks before my LFS can get a regal angel in, not to mention the stress if you are going to QT. Deaths in QT are not uncommon.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If waiting 4 months for fully QTd fish is too long of a wait, you're in the wrong hobby. It's that simple.
I agree. Trust me I don't wanna wait months for something I ordered either. I am looking for solutions all the time and increasing volume and labor as it goes along.

I started from my garage then moved to a small warehouse then moved to a medium size warehouse and now I am moving to a bigger warehouse. So in the back end things are changing and eventually my goal is to satisfy every order unless rare fish is asked for to be shipped within 3 to 5 business days fully qted.

This is required massive amounts of tanks and space plus labor. Does my current volume justify that? Only I know.

That's why progress is slow. There is a lot of demand but not much profit for me to make such large changes at once.
As money trickles in I spend it on ordering more tanks and equipment.

Trust me eventually it will get there. I don't wanna increase the prices.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. Trust me I don't wanna wait months for something I ordered either. I am looking for solutions all the time and increasing volume and labor as it goes along.
I started from my garage then moved to a small warehouse then moved to a medium size warehouse and now I am moving to a bigger warehouse. So the back end things are changing and eventually my goal is to satisfy every order unless rare fish is asked for to be shipped within 3 to 5 business days fully qted.
This is required massive amounts of tanks and space plus labor. Does my current volume justify that? Only I know. That's why progress is slow. There is a lot of demand but not much profit for me to make such large changes at once.
As money trickles in I spend it on ordering more tanks and equipment.
Trust me eventually it will get there. I don't wanna increase the prices.

Those of us that appreciate what you do, have no issue waiting. Not a chance I am going to QT my own fish properly and will gladly pay someone for their time and experience.

Just need to get the new tank up and running and I will get an order in

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying, but mike have the best service not to mention the best price hands down. As he said, he is doing it for the hobby. QT fish takes time, heck it took weeks before my LFS can get a regal angel in, not to mention the stress if you are going to QT. Deaths in QT are not uncommon.

Yah, the prices aren't even that bad. I made an order for a Flame Angel+Blue Throat and the price was the same compared to buying it from two separate non-QT online vendors. When are they coming? Idk...but I sleep peacefully each night knowing I am not dealing with algae blooms and copper levels in my hobby-grade QT trying not to kill my new additions.

Now he just needs to run another sale so I can order my Purple Tang and Green Mandarin.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, the prices aren't even that bad. I made an order for a Flame Angel+Blue Throat and the price was the same compared to buying it from two separate non-QT online vendors. When are they coming? Idk...but I sleep peacefully each night knowing I am not dealing with algae blooms and copper levels in my hobby-grade QT trying not to kill my new additions.

Now he just needs to run another sale so I can order my Purple Tang and Green Mandarin.
What's your order #

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Mike,

I placed and order and paid for it. I am just wondering when it will be ready to ship? The order number is 20QF1857.

Thanks

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike,

I placed and order and paid for it. I am just wondering when it will be ready to ship? The order number is 20QF1857.

Thanks
Hi
as per your order request day of choice was friday, so i have you shipping out on thursday for friday delivery.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back