New2Reefing - Red Sea Reefer 350 V3 Issue

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

I have been following the forums and researching a Reef tank build for quite some time now (12+ months). I always had my eye on doing a similar setup to Broadfield's build, with a manifold that would run from my return pump and power my reactors (See below picture for an idea of what I wanted to do), which is why I always wanted a Reefer 350.

upload_2018-10-19_16-2-54.png

Over the past 8 months I have been gathering the equipment (including plumbing pieces and even drew out my manifold build). I had to take a 3-mo hiatus to save up some cash for the tank and stand (plus life has been super busy for me). The other week I purchased the reefer and started pulling all of the plumbing parts out of storage so I could get ready to begin my build. I spent many hours re-watching the YouTube video instructions on how to do the hard plumbing. My tank finaly arrived today and of course I was eager to setup the stand, before even peeking at the sump and plumbing equipment that came with it. When i finally finished and sat down to look at the sump and plumbing that came with the tank I noticed it is totally different then what I was expecting when I first started compiling pieces (I guess hindsight 20/20 I should have waited to order the plumbing parts. ) Mainly the return pump is now on the other side and doesn't appear to provide an opportunity to hard plumb a manifold.

Needless to say I am feeling super depressed to the point where I don't even want to continue that build. I've been searching through the forums and youtube trying to find manifold builds with the new v3 sumps but have not come across any. I have no idea what to do at this point, I emailed, BRS and Red Sea to see if they have any ideas. If any reefers who are using the new v3 sumps have figured out this issue I would love to see your build and greatly appreciate any help/advice you can offer. I know it is my own fault for not being up to speed on the latest version, but I will say the dimensions listed and the diagram/descriptions on the website I purchased the tank from have no indication of the V3 updated or changes to the sump. Obviously I cant return it at this point and have no clue what to do.

The only viable suggestion I have heard is to turn the sump around, I have not seen it done yet or heard of anyone having success with this method.

Thanks for any and all help and I'm excited to finally become active on the forums and hopefully chronicle my build - this isn't they way I wanted to start unfortunately.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing community. Sorry can't be much help as I'm not at all familiar with that set up, but I do agree there has to be a solution, so don't give up just yet.

F22DRVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with the new 525XL that I just purchased. It has a version 3 sump as well.

What I did was, I came up from the pump with a 3/4 pipe high enough to clear the return pump section of the sump, then did a "T" piece that enabled me to run a manifold line left that dead-ends after 3 valves for future equipment. If you don't want to do that, then the other choice I was contemplating was a second pump. I didn't want to go that route, however, because I had already purchased a pump powerful enough to run everything. It doesn't come out looking quite as nice as the picture you have above, but, it's still nice and organized.

OP
OP
NewbReefer3451

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with the new 525XL that I just purchased. It has a version 3 sump as well.

What I did was, I came up from the pump with a 3/4 pipe high enough to clear the return pump section of the sump, then did a "T" piece that enabled me to run a manifold line left that dead-ends after 3 valves for future equipment. If you don't want to do that, then the other choice I was contemplating was a second pump. I didn't want to go that route, however, because I had already purchased a pump powerful enough to run everything. It doesn't come out looking quite as nice as the picture you have above, but, it's still nice and organized.
Thank you for the response! I was thinking about this as another potential solution, however was worried about getting enough flow to the left of the T through the manifold and still pushing the water up to the tank with enough flow - I'm using the Neptune cor 20. Also all the plumbing I bought is 1 inch and 1/2 inch for the reactors. Do you mind posting a picture? What do you think about flipping the sump around and just re-pluming the return and overflow. It looks like you no longer need the 3/4th threaded NPT connector with excessive teflon tap to fit the return and overflow bulk heads because they have the plumbing attached with a 3/4th slip and union now which is kinda nice (even though I already bought all the other pieces).

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try calling Red Sea USA directly to see if you can get v2 sump. I caught this on time on mine a few months ago and made a few calls to make sure they ship v2 for my Reefer 250. I dodged the bullet on that ine, as similar to you, I had the plan, build etc all figured out for v2 sump. V3 does not seem to give that flexibility plus it takes a lot more space due to plumbing routed across the back and side wall.

OP
OP
NewbReefer3451

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try calling Red Sea USA directly to see if you can get v2 sump. I caught this on time on mine a few months ago and made a few calls to make sure they ship v2 for my Reefer 250. I dodged the bullet on that ine, as similar to you, I had the plan, build etc all figured out for v2 sump. V3 does not seem to give that flexibility plus it takes a lot more space due to plumbing routed across the back and side wall.
Thank you for the response and I like this idea - I tried calling but office was closed so I sent them an email - this may be the best solution.

OP
OP
NewbReefer3451

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response and I like this idea - I tried calling but office was closed so I sent them an email - this may be the best solution.
All though the refug cut out is pretty sweet in the V3, I just dont understand why they have this silly plumbing, I guess the logic is the return pump will have a better flow rating because its directly straight piped to the DT. ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Can you not set it up per the instructions? Sorry I am a bit confused. I’m glad someone else more helpful chimed in! :D

Back