Newb seeking help about heaters

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use different size heater elements up to 1000 watts as well. The two 200 watt ones weren’t enough and I didn’t want one 500 that’s why I went with the 200 watt with controller and a separate 350 element.
Have you ever used an Ink bird or other controller for heaters?

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the helios?
To be honest it's too early for me to tell. I already had a weird situation happen where the temperature dropped to 72 and the alarm didn't sound (I had it at 74).
All my fish are in QT so no harm was done. Still.. even without anything happening... I think getting a backup is the best you can do.

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest it's too early for me to tell. I already had a weird situation happen where the temperature dropped to 72 and the alarm didn't sound (I had it at 74).
All my fish are in QT so no harm was done. Still.. even without anything happening... I think getting a backup is the best you can do.
Definitely, always have a backup.

I have been running two 300 watt heaters on my tank without a controller but one of them failed and I have 150 gallon tank with a sump so one 300 W heater is not enough. I want to try a controller but then looking into the controllers I found that helios... that made my choice more difficult. Lol

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone has mentioned these, but the aquael heaters are really good IMO. They are plastic so they don't run the risk of shattering like glass. I have all of my tanks running them with inkbird controllers.

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hook them up to a temp controller brand doesn't matter too much on the heater. Just check and see if the majority have luck with them. Every heater brand/model has failed someone so you'll find a story on all of them. Controllers take a lot of worry out of the equation. I'm using an aqueon pro heater I bought like, 5 years ago on a controller and it's still chugging along. Can't say I'd recommend that though lol.

Big thing, have a controller. I use the inkbird and don't have complaints really.
This. The heater can be as expensive as you want but replacing a decent /economical heater every year or two and having a controller with a probe to monitor might end up being a better solution. I have not had plenty of issues particularly with three temp probes (2 cheap ones and an apex probe)

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. The heater can be as expensive as you want but replacing a decent /economical heater every year or two and having a controller with a probe to monitor might end up being a better solution. I have not had plenty of issues particularly with three temp probes (2 cheap ones and an apex probe)
Yes.. I will get a ranco in the future. It seems like the best solution.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Low temp alarm needs to be set. Also there is a silent button on controller I believe.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used an Ink bird or other controller for heaters?
I have not. Always just used preset heaters from Petco and just rotated in a new one every year. I was looking for something a little more stable. With the price of heating oil it might get chilly in the house this year

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking for something more stable. Considering buying the Helios unoversal controller and two heaters, but not their smart system. Idk... I hate these decisions. Haha

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered the whole kit and kaboodle. 700 Watt Helio PTC Smart Heater... I cant decide so just went with it. Hope it's worth the investment since this is my birthday present. Lol

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hook them up to a temp controller brand doesn't matter too much on the heater. Just check and see if the majority have luck with them. Every heater brand/model has failed someone so you'll find a story on all of them. Controllers take a lot of worry out of the equation. I'm using an aqueon pro heater I bought like, 5 years ago on a controller and it's still chugging along. Can't say I'd recommend that though lol.

Big thing, have a controller. I use the inkbird and don't have complaints really.
You can go with just about any heater your heart desires if you buy a decent controller like an inkbird. Essentially the inkbird either gives the heater power, or doesnt. Its that simple and that much worth it.

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go with just about any heater your heart desires if you buy a decent controller like an inkbird. Essentially the inkbird either gives the heater power, or doesnt. Its that simple and that much worth it.
Well, I canceled the order. I need a heater asap so I'm going to the LFS.

That being said, does anyone have feed back on the Helio universal controller? It has a 5 year warranty and same price as ink bird.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I canceled the order. I need a heater asap so I'm going to the LFS.

That being said, does anyone have feed back on the Helio universal controller? It has a 5 year warranty and same price as ink bird.
It's supposed to be built with "cheaper" materials. I was not able to find reviews about it either...

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, about the 5 year warranty... If something goes wrong and you call them they will ask to self service the controller (open it and check the components) first before sending it. I know a lot of people complain about this and some LFS in my area stopped selling their products because of this...

Last edited:

Salty_Dreamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, about the 5 year warranty... If something goes wrong and you call them they will ask to self service the controller (open it and check it's components) first before sending it. I know a lot of people complain about this and some LFS in my area stopped selling their products because of this...
That is kind of annoying. Understandable, but annoying. Lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back