Newb to hobby and seeking advice for prostar 90

femmefishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R community. I am new to this already addicting hobby and looking for some helpful advice.

I have a 90 gallon prostar tank. Added a 200W heater, 2 red sea reef 50 lights, seachem impulse 800 pump, aquavitro division 125 skimmer, 55 pounds of Texas holey rock, and fiji pink/white sand.

It's been cycling for about 4 to 5 weeks and recently added 4 clowns.

I am curious of 2 things

1) what is a good uv filtering system that won't take up much space, be easy for me to install, not break the wallet but does the job?
2) the current water flow also seems high even at lowest setting. It blows the sand on one corner of the tank and the fishes go into a crazy swim and vortex.

Any recommendations please? Attaching some photos and videos to aid. Thanks in advance ☺️

Attachments

• 20230529_123625.mp4
    61.7 MB
  • 2023_05_29 07_51.mp4
    7.4 MB

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Looks like you just have the return pump going with no additional in tank pumps. Clowns will be fine, they have found an area with less flow they are happy with. As they get bigger and you add corals to the tank the flow will be reduced. Also if you are going to add a uv steralizer to the return like it will also go down.
Aqua UV and for that size tank 25w would be enough, but if you want cheaper Icecap has a 27w

OP
OP
femmefishnewb

femmefishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you just have the return pump going with no additional in tank pumps. Clowns will be fine, they have found an area with less flow they are happy with. As they get bigger and you add corals to the tank the flow will be reduced. Also if you are going to add a uv steralizer to the return like it will also go down.
Aqua UV and for that size tank 25w would be enough, but if you want cheaper Icecap has a 27w
Thanks so much for your recommendations Jason! I REALLY appreciate. I also didn't put a pump in tank to keep it a cleaner look and I don't plan to add corals for now. If I change my mind, it'll be years on out. The tank is also 90 gallon but the actual top tank is 65. Do u think I need a tank pump and is 15w good enough for the size?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back