Newbie lighting and coral question

Bwing602

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear with me on this one please! We've had a 50g FOWLER for years, and recently for fun I decided I'd try a couple of coral frags. We've had the same, bog-standard, blue and white LED strip sitting on top for years with no issues. The frags we put in were a GSP, a Zoa, and a frogspawn. All of them looked happy and thriving, until--

The light switch(basic ON/OFF for blues and whites) started failing. I tinkered with it, but it wouldn't keep the white on. So a friend gave us another strip; this one has red, blue, white and green and is much "hotter". Almost immediately the frogspawn and GSP wasn't happy at all. Nothing else had changed, just the light. I tried raising the lights and moving the frags around. Still not happy, I took off the new light and put the old one back on top, having to fiddle with it to keep the whites on, and the GSP was happy and waving again. Finally the old light just died, so last night, wanting something simple like the old warhorse strip-that is to say, on the weak side-I wound up ordering an Orbit Marine. My reasoning-my hope-is that at least I can play with the blankety-blank settings for a change and hopefully keep a frogspawn and GSP happy. From the lights to the sand is 18"; I have the frags sitting at 14". I guess what I'm looking for is whether my instincts are correct, and the new light is just too much for them. Things have to improve with the Orbit Marine, right? Assuming I can tinker and find optimum settings? I guess I just had dumb luck with that old set of no-name lights.

Old lights they loved
New lights they hate(and me too)

Thanks for any thoughts!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other corals should be good but i would worry about the orbit sustaining the frogspawn in that tank long term, they dont need too much light though, if you already ordered the orbit, you could add a orphek or3 blue for pretty cheap to increase par and color pop in corals and run the orbit on a whiter spectrum to try and balance it out

OP
OP
Bwing602

Bwing602

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other corals should be good but i would worry about the orbit sustaining the frogspawn in that tank long term, they dont need too much light though, if you already ordered the orbit, you could add a orphek or3 blue for pretty cheap to increase par and color pop in corals and run the orbit on a whiter spectrum to try and balance it out
Great info-thanks!

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of info on lighting here and on the web. Thankfully we now have lots of great options. What are the dimensions of your tank? What other corals do you plan on keeping in the future? Have you considered other equipment you may need to keep them happy like a protein skimmer?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no prob, i actually just ordered the orphek or3 blue to add to my 6 bulb t5 on my 75 gallon tank for extra pop after seeing it in person, i need all that par because i run a mostly sps tank though

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 71 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back