Newbie needs advice for new tank setup

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 120 gallon rimless reef tank and had the following questions for the fellow reefers.

1) What kind of foam would you recommend to go underneath this rimless tank?.

2) I was planning to use a 40 gallon breeder as the sump. Please let me know whether this is a right size for my tank.

3) I need help in choosing the right heater for the tank. I currently have two 100w eheim jager with Inkbird controller. I am planning to use the heaters in the sump, therefore the length of the heaters is a consideration. I am also looking for redundancy, so that failure of any single heater wouldn’t be catastrophic. What total wattage would be a good fit for this size tank?.

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 120 gallon rimless reef tank and had the following questions for the fellow reefers.

1) What kind of foam would you recommend to go underneath this rimless tank?.

2) I was planning to use a 40 gallon breeder as the sump. Please let me know whether this is a right size for my tank.

3) I need help in choosing the right heater for the tank. I currently have two 100w eheim jager with Inkbird controller. I am planning to use the heaters in the sump, therefore the length of the heaters is a consideration. I am also looking for redundancy, so that failure of any single heater wouldn’t be catastrophic. What total wattage would be a good fit for this size tank?.

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.

1. I don't have much in regards to the foam underneath. I can't remember if there is foam under my main DT. I do know that my additional 30 JBJ has a thin foam mat. See what others respond with.
  2. In my opinion, I would try and go larger for the sump. It affords the ability to add equipment later on, plus adds water volume which aids in overall system parameter stability. Granted, this depends on what kind of space is available, so some have to work with what they got.
  3. The heaters depends on factors as I found out with my system:
    1. System temp is slightly affected by the home's HVAC setting. If someone keeps there home at 70 degree F, the system tries to equalize with ambient air temp, so potentially less heating is required.
    2. System equipment adds heat to the system already. I've found my return pumps put a lot of heat out to the point I removed my 300 watt heater totally and have not had a temp issue since it's removal.
    3. I pull outside air to feed my skimmer, but does not seem to affect my system much, but can't speak for system's in really colder or hotter temps.
Good idea on using the Inkbird temp controllers. I have 2 of them and I highly recommend them for redundancy. Once the system is up and running, you'll be able to better gauge the system's heating requirements, but for now just go with the 2 100w heaters for now and adjust accordingly. :D

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.

1. I don't have much in regards to the foam underneath. I can't remember if there is foam under my main DT. I do know that my additional 30 JBJ has a thin foam mat. See what others respond with.
  2. In my opinion, I would try and go larger for the sump. It affords the ability to add equipment later on, plus adds water volume which aids in overall system parameter stability. Granted, this depends on what kind of space is available, so some have to work with what they got.
  3. The heaters depends on factors as I found out with my system:
    1. System temp is slightly affected by the home's HVAC setting. If someone keeps there home at 70 degree F, the system tries to equalize with ambient air temp, so potentially less heating is required.
    2. System equipment adds heat to the system already. I've found my return pumps put a lot of heat out to the point I removed my 300 watt heater totally and have not had a temp issue since it's removal.
    3. I pull outside air to feed my skimmer, but does not seem to affect my system much, but can't speak for system's in really colder or hotter temps.
Good idea on using the Inkbird temp controllers. I have 2 of them and I highly recommend them for redundancy. Once the system is up and running, you'll be able to better gauge the system's heating requirements, but for now just go with the 2 100w heaters for now and adjust accordingly. :D
Thank you very much for sharing your real life insights. It was very helpful. The 120 gallon tank is 4 x2 x2 ft and my stand is going to be of the same dimensions. Therefore the largest sump I can fit comfortably is about 3 ft long, which is the exact dimensions of the 40 gallon breeder (36”x18”).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back