OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to let you all know that I went ahead and ordered the 120 gallon tank with the 16” synergy overflow box.

I am getting nervous about the delivery of the tank, as I have read about horror stories regarding damage to the tanks on delivery. Finger crossed, hope everything goes well.

Also, I was wondering what kind of foam would you recommend to go underneath this rimless tank?. I am planning to build my stand this weekend.

I was planning to use a 40 gallon breeder as the sump. Please let me know whether this is a right size for my tank.

I also need help in choosing the right heater for the tank. I currently have two 100w eheim jager with Inkbird controller. I am planning to use the heaters in the sump, therefore the length of the heaters is a consideration. I am also looking for redundancy, so that failure of any single heater wouldn’t be catastrophic. What would you recommend?.

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers,

I am new to this group and need advice on a new reef setup. First, a little background about me. I used to have five freshwater tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 120 gallons, had loads of fresh water fish, cichlids etc. Most of these were used equipment. I was really amazed by the reef tanks at that point, but couldn’t afford it. My interest in reef tanks got rekindled recently and am in a better position financially. Therefore, I joined the forums and started researching about reef tanks and started buying a few equipment In preparation of the tank.

My initial instinct was to go with a 40 gallon breeder tank. I bought about 40 lbs of dry rock and started curing it. I quickly realized that I might not be happy with a small tank and my wife doesn’t want multiple tanks. Therefore, my plans shifted towards one bigger tank. I started visiting the local fish shops for a reef ready tank, but couldn’t find one. However when I started looking around in the internet, I came across the below tank that seemed like good choice for me.

I have already purchased the following equipment from a fellow reefer on the forums and on my own

1) 40 gallon breeder tank
2) Fiji sump kit for 40 gallon breeder
3) Vee gee STX-3 refractometer
4) Eheim jagger heater 100w - 2
5) Hannah & API & Salifert test kits
6) Reef Octopus Varios 4
7) Aquamax Co-1 ConeS series protein skimmer
8) AI Prime 16HD with flex stand

Considering the equipment I have already purchased and want to reuse as much as possible. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the choice of the tank and the equipment. I am not sure whether the cost of the tank is a good deal or not. I am prepared to wait until Thanksgiving, if there is a decent chance, that I might find a better deal on a suitable tank or equipment.

I am also fine with going with a lower size tank, but dont want multiple tanks. If you have have any suggestions about what size tank would be good without being overwhelming, please let me know.

Any and all advice/suggestions that aid me in getting started with this reefing journey would be greatly appreciated.
a 40 gallon tank is good, its more work than a fresh water tank. maybe in a decent couple years get something bigger if you really feel the need. The bigger the tank, the more water and salt needed to do water changes, potentially dose depending on what you're doing, and deal with other issues. Also 40gals isn't a very small tank, you can get a good amount of fishes and tons of amazing inverts. Also, depending on where you live, make sure your floor can hold, just the water alone in your 40 gal is 336* pounds!

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 40 gallon tank is good, its more work than a fresh water tank. maybe in a decent couple years get something bigger if you really feel the need. The bigger the tank, the more water and salt needed to do water changes, potentially dose depending on what you're doing, and deal with other issues. Also 40gals isn't a very small tank, you can get a good amount of fishes and tons of amazing inverts. Also, depending on where you live, make sure your floor can hold, just the water alone in your 40 gal is 336* pounds!
Thanks for your reply, I am planning to put the tank against the outer wall of my single family home on the main level. I believe those will be the highest weight bearing walls in my home, other than the outer walls in my basement which are below the ground level. Please correct me if I am wrong.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I am planning to put the tank against the outer wall of my single family home on the main level. I believe those will be the highest weight bearing walls in my home, other than the outer walls in my basement which are below the ground level. Please correct me if I am wrong.
It should be fine

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to Reef2Reef!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome44.png

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers,

I am new to this group and need advice on a new reef setup. First, a little background about me. I used to have five freshwater tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 120 gallons, had loads of fresh water fish, cichlids etc. Most of these were used equipment. I was really amazed by the reef tanks at that point, but couldn’t afford it. My interest in reef tanks got rekindled recently and am in a better position financially. Therefore, I joined the forums and started researching about reef tanks and started buying a few equipment In preparation of the tank.

My initial instinct was to go with a 40 gallon breeder tank. I bought about 40 lbs of dry rock and started curing it. I quickly realized that I might not be happy with a small tank and my wife doesn’t want multiple tanks. Therefore, my plans shifted towards one bigger tank. I started visiting the local fish shops for a reef ready tank, but couldn’t find one. However when I started looking around in the internet, I came across the below tank that seemed like good choice for me.

I have already purchased the following equipment from a fellow reefer on the forums and on my own

1) 40 gallon breeder tank
2) Fiji sump kit for 40 gallon breeder
3) Vee gee STX-3 refractometer
4) Eheim jagger heater 100w - 2
5) Hannah & API & Salifert test kits
6) Reef Octopus Varios 4
7) Aquamax Co-1 ConeS series protein skimmer
8) AI Prime 16HD with flex stand

Considering the equipment I have already purchased and want to reuse as much as possible. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the choice of the tank and the equipment. I am not sure whether the cost of the tank is a good deal or not. I am prepared to wait until Thanksgiving, if there is a decent chance, that I might find a better deal on a suitable tank or equipment.

I am also fine with going with a lower size tank, but dont want multiple tanks. If you have have any suggestions about what size tank would be good without being overwhelming, please let me know.

Any and all advice/suggestions that aid me in getting started with this reefing journey would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to R2R.
I would choose the biggest tank fits the space you have and can afford
Welcome to R2R.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back