Newbie who rushed a bit. Tail between my legs. Looking for advice on closed polyps and brown algae.

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ph meter calibrated?

This reading is the only thing that stands out in your readings.

I do see a dust layer on the surface of your water. This means no agitation. Be mindful, if your house is tight and you have high co2 in the house, agitation won't help to raise the ph.

I didn't see a skimmer in your list.
Do you have one?
Thank you for reminding me I need to do this! Will do it ASAP. I repointed one of the return pump heads up towards the surface and have some nice agitation now. I'm reconsidering adding a skimmer now...was going to wait, but may get one ASAP.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't a fan of the sock. I bought a big bag of filter floss and put it in the right chamber that came with the stock carbon and gfo and just replace it every few days. I put a skimmer in the chamber where the sock was.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that I should only add a skimmer if my nitrates are consistently too high even when doing regular water changes. I considered removing the filter sock and putting a skimmer in there...should I just do that now? There were other BRS videos saying maybe a skimmer isn't needed if Nitrates are not high and I'm not looking to reduce the frequency of water changes?
My thoughts on a skimmer.
They don't take out much but they are great at oxygenating the water especially if the air intake line is outside. This is what will raise the ph.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe way I have found easiest for me to increase slow is to just manual top off with salt water for a few days.

J&K Reefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my opinion and what I did when I went through the same thing. My best advice first of all would be, find someone you trust, someone with a successful tank, one that you would like yours to look like and do what he or she does. My advice worked for me.

Stop doing so many water changes. Your tank will be in a continuous cycle because you are removing the built up beneficial bacteria. Introduce a small clean up crew (nails, crabs, algae eating fish). Purchase utilitarian fish and inverts to start with. Stop running GFO and Carbon. FYI, I was doing the exact same thing you are doing. I also use the same salt. Let the water mature. Remember, you have to manage the water quality. Stop dosing, the corals you have will be fine with water that is a bit dirty. I want to stress, this is my opinion. This is one of my tanks not at 8 months.

Attachments

• 70607079019__D8F50F90-DB46-4B08-A6A4-8B5AE9F57936.jpeg
    70607079019__D8F50F90-DB46-4B08-A6A4-8B5AE9F57936.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 70607095130__EF48DAAB-7C66-4128-B478-0707BB2B4D92.jpeg
    70607095130__EF48DAAB-7C66-4128-B478-0707BB2B4D92.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 30

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are aware of the marketing scam and lawsuits at Vibrant correct? It kills corals and inverts and will mess with your bio filter.
I have started dry rock and it takes up to a year to get rid of “uglies” even when maintaining well. In time a healthy biome will emerge.

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things I'm doing...please provide any feedback or adjustments...
1) I'm trying to decide between the "Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 DC" ($234) and the "IM NuvoSkim 24-Volt DC™ AIO Protein Skimmer [Midsize]" ($176).
2) I ordered some ChemiPure Blue.
3) Does Phyto Feast qualify for the recommendation to add micro fauna? I'm feeding some Phyto Feast daily now.
4) I plan to remove the GFO and will remove the ROX Carbon bag once the ChemiPure Blue arrives.
5) I'll start looking at Alkalinity and Calcium increase...Would All For Reef be recommended at this point?
Thank you again!

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I'm trying to decide between the "Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 DC" ($234) and the "IM NuvoSkim 24-Volt DC™ AIO Protein Skimmer [Midsize]" ($176).
3) Does Phyto Feast qualify for the recommendation to add micro fauna? I'm feeding some Phyto Feast daily now.
4) I plan to remove the GFO and will remove the ROX Carbon bag once the ChemiPure Blue arrives.
5) I'll start looking at Alkalinity and Calcium increase...Would All For Reef be recommended at this point?
Thank you again!
3 > I think they were referring to copepods also. I order from algae barn.
5 > get salinity worked out first, your levels will naturally rise with it, then decide if you need to dose. I don't think you will until coraline takes off and you have more coral. Regular water changes should keep those in check with a small demand.

J&K Reefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the maxspect skimmers and wouldn’t dose anything at this point you don’t have enough corals for that. Feed your fish like normal and relax. You are going to drive yourself crazy chasing the numbers. Track ammonia and nitrites. Those convert to nitrates and phosphates. If those 2 are managed you should be fine.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about pH. Keep your home aired out and have good gas exchange in the tank and your pH will be fine. If you have a closed up home, then get a cheap indoor co2 meter - better money spent than changing tank pH for the humans and pets too.

If you want microfauna, then get something from the ocean - live rock, or some zoas on a clam shell or small piece or rock. Many times more things on there than from a bottle. This will help cut down on dinos, hair and cyano that comes a lot of time with dry/dead rock.

Just give it time. You can rush, but the tank cannot. The tank needs the time and anything that you do to try and rush it will be repaid many times, so skip the media and chemicals and let an ecosystem develop. Just plan on the uglies and embrace them, especially with the dry rock.

I would also echo that BRS videos are informercials. There are some that have a bit of husbandry in them that is decent, but also know that they have a whole staff to take care of their tanks and stuff. Their main purpose is to sell things.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you again!
1) I'm trying to decide between the "Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 DC" ($234) and the "IM NuvoSkim 24-Volt DC™ AIO Protein Skimmer [Midsize]" ($176). take a look at Icesap K1-50 or 100 or K250 on coralvue.com which look and work like full size skimmers.
2) I ordered some ChemiPure Blue. Will help with phos and any Toxins. Ive been using this well over 2, even 3 decades
3) Does Phyto Feast qualify for the recommendation to add micro fauna? I'm feeding some Phyto Feast daily now. Phyto feast a contributor, Micro Bacter XLM very good
4) I plan to remove the GFO and will remove the ROX Carbon bag once the ChemiPure Blue arrives. I would as you can drop levels too fast
5) I'll start looking at Alkalinity and Calcium increase...Would All For Reef be recommended at this point? All for reef does a great job as does ESV Two part solution

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I'm trying to decide between the "Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 DC" ($234) and the "IM NuvoSkim 24-Volt DC™ AIO Protein Skimmer [Midsize]" ($176). take a look at Icesap K1-50 or 100 or K250 on coralvue.com which look and work like full size skimmers.
2) I ordered some ChemiPure Blue. Will help with phos and any Toxins. Ive been using this well over 2, even 3 decades
3) Does Phyto Feast qualify for the recommendation to add micro fauna? I'm feeding some Phyto Feast daily now. Phyto feast a contributor, Micro Bacter XLM very good
4) I plan to remove the GFO and will remove the ROX Carbon bag once the ChemiPure Blue arrives. I would as you can drop levels too fast
5) I'll start looking at Alkalinity and Calcium increase...Would All For Reef be recommended at this point? All for reef does a great job as does ESV Two part solution
Vetteguy gives great advice…I’ve benefitted a number of times.

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you VetteGuy53081! I'll check those out for fit on the IM Fusion Pro 2 40 Gallon AIO. Your long-term use of ChemiPure blue gives me a ton of confidence in the product! Will order up Microbacter XLM and some All For Reef (knowing I may not need any/much right away). Removing GFO tonight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you VetteGuy53081! I'll check those out for fit on the IM Fusion Pro 2 40 Gallon AIO. Your long-term use of ChemiPure blue gives me a ton of confidence in the product! Will order up Microbacter XLM and some All For Reef (knowing I may not need any/much right away). Removing GFO tonight.
The skimmers mentioned hang onto tank and fit in many small sumps

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, nice looking set up. You’ve started out with some nice equipment and really have everything needed to push on for the next few months. Adjusting temp, increasing surface agitation and nixing the vibrant were all sensible moves.

It’s tough for beginners, the advice you get really highlights the dichotomy in the hobby between reductionist and wholistic approaches. Both are valid but mixing the two without understanding how and why each action works can be problematic, especially when it comes to isolating and recognising the parameters of progress or success.

Personally, I subscribe to a more natural approach in the early stages of maturing a system. For your current and very capable set up, proper live rock or rubble in the display or rear chamber and some herbivorous CUC will definitely assist but apart from that you can’t really ‘purchase’ any miracle shortcuts through this phase. Good flow, sensible light intensity and regular 10% weekly water changes has a proven pedigree.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider reading up on what happens when your nitrate and phosphate read zero. It is not a good thing as u will pave the way for very problematic pests like Dinoflagellates (dinos-very bad — diatoms-good) don’t get these 2 mixed up.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jason, I know a lot of people are throwing advice at you, but one thing I would add would be to stop adding anything to the tank at all right now (including any filter media), and stop doing water changes for a month. Your tank and water are too clean right now. Feed the fish. Get back to basics. You clearly are diving in head first, which is great, and the beautiful setup has lots of potential, but you are working with too many variables right now with less understanding of what they do, and how they interact, to be making so many changes. Make sure salinity is correct, your pH i'm guessing is a testing error - unless you have a very tightly sealed home and lots of kids and pets - in which case increasing gas exchange with high CO2 air can actually further depress your pH. Once you confirm your salinity and get your pH out of dangerous range - let it ride brother. Feed the fish, that's it. Confirm your parameters are in line, and feed the fish. There is no reason to add phyto, use ChemiPure, or anything else at this point. You can add some pods, but if your tank is not stable, they could easily perish and be a waste of money. Feed the fish, your nutrients will increase, you'll get some diatoms (brown dust), and maybe some algae. After a month, add a few snails and some pods (check out IPSF.com for their critter specials). Your current corals don't need bright light, so turn your light down as much as possible, which will cut down on algae. Hardest thing for new hobbyists to do, is to do nothing, which sometimes is the absolute best thing to do : )

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, prepare to farm algae, or...

Stop buying additives and devices and pull out as much of that garbage dry rock as you can and get some real ocean live rock from a reputable aquaculture outfit. BOOM! Sure I fished out another baby gorilla crab tonight, but I would much rather hunt nuisance crabs than sop up my tears of failure with wads of green hair algae. Been there, I ain't ever looking back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back