Newbie with ID Question - Marine "Ant Trap"?

newave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, folks!

This is my first time posting, so I hope I'm in the appropriate space for help with ID'ing.

This morning, as I was inspecting my tank I noticed a sort of "ant trap" in my fine sand. I tried to do relevant Google searches but couldn't find any info.

I have noticed no feelers or anything extending from the hole yet, just a dark speck.

A bit more info: Tank was set up 28 days ago. Live rock and accompanying hitch hikers - brittle star, 2 snails, 3 hermit crabs, pinapple sponge, what I believe to be pseudocorynactis, possible baby tube worms (responsive to touch, will probably ask for help to ID soon if I can't nail it down myself), probably bristle worms, are the only inhabitants.

I've been wondering all day, what could this thing hiding in my sand be? Any knowledge shared is appreciated!

Happy reefing, all!

20200610_220323.jpg 20200610_221808.jpg

OP
OP
newave

newave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worm!

:)Just kidding I’m not sure. Your sand looks very sparkly, is it silica sand?

Oh GOSH! I was just showing my family vids of bobbit worms in action earlier in the week. They're the stuff of nightmares!

Thankfully, it turned out to be a lost/presumed deceased cerith snail appeared, peaking out from the indentation shortly after I put a sinking pellet nearby/lights out. I had forgotten they will burrow. >.<

As for the sand, it does contain silica - just a bag of basic Caribsea Super Naturals sand.

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out, folks!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note for future night viewing - if you use a red light the inhabitants for the most part won't be bothered by it so you can watch them do their thing more easily. I got a small LED flashlight that has both white and red - maybe $10 at HD/Lowes.

OP
OP
newave

newave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tip! have one waiting on my Amazon shopping list to be ordered soon. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back