Newbie, with no tank, reef or plumbing experience seeks.....help. Lots of help, please!

StaceysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
As the thread title suggests, I am brand new to the hobby and would love some advice! I purchased a Red Sea Reefer 170 and I think I have all the necessary parts to get started, but I need help with how to put it all together.
So, the equipment that I have so far includes:
Bubble Magus 3.5 Skimmer - I think this one is pretty straight forward, so no help needed there :)
2LittleFishies Phosban Reactor - I plan to run this with a small Lifeguard pump, again I think I have this one figured out too.... currently I just have clear vinyl tubing going to and from the reactor - any suggestions on something better to use, & where to get it? I hear the clear vinyl is prone to algae growth.
Sicce Syncra Silent return pump - if all I have to do is connect this with the return line, we're golden.... if on the other hand the recommendation is to run the UV sterilizer off the pump and back through the return... I will need a hand, see below :)
Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage UV Sterilizer - this is where I'm running into issues.... what are your suggestions for where/how to plumb it? Before the skimmer, after the skimmer, from the return pump through to the return line? I'm also not sure if I should try and hang it in a vertical, or horizontal orientation? Also, what the heck do I secure it with. It doesn't seem to have come with anything to attach it to the cabinet, so I'm not even sure where to begin.

Last but not least, I can't seem to find any of the plastic hose clamps locally, so I have purchased the stainless steel ones, I know they aren't ideal, but is there a reason that I absolutely shouldn't use them??

Thank-you, thank-you to everyone who has been there before in this hobby, and are so willing to help us newbies out. I am thrilled to finally be getting into this hobby and can't wait to see what my reef turns into!

Stacey

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreefsupply.com should have the things you need. Or the brands websites of the equipment you have

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Stacey and welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us!

The following is a very useful article which should answer many of your questions and anything else just ask

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

On the UV just set it up as per the instructions (I’m not familiar with this one) and I personally have the DD version and have it set up vertically at the back of my sump. I just rest on the sump glass secured with a small piece of heavy duty Velcro . Mine is fed from a small Eheim pump as you need to get the correct water flow for maximum killing effect. To fast and it worthless. To slow is better than to fast.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r !! I would def find another source for the plastic ratchet clamps. The hose clamps will rust very quickly.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magus 3.5 Skimmer - I think this one is pretty straight forward, so no help needed there :)
2LittleFishies Phosban Reactor - I plan to run this with a small Lifeguard pump, again I think I have this one figured out too.... currently I just have clear vinyl tubing going to and from the reactor - any suggestions on something better to use, & where to get it? I hear the clear vinyl is prone to algae growth.
Sicce Syncra Silent return pump - if all I have to do is connect this with the return line, we're golden.... if on the other hand the recommendation is to run the UV sterilizer off the pump and back through the return... I will need a hand, see below :)
Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage UV Sterilizer - this is where I'm running into issues.... what are your suggestions for where/how to plumb it? Before the skimmer, after the skimmer, from the return pump through to the return line? I'm also not sure if I should try and hang it in a vertical, or horizontal orientation? Also, what the heck do I secure it with. It doesn't seem to have come with anything to attach it to the cabinet, so I'm not even sure where to begin.

Last but not least, I can't seem to find any of the plastic hose clamps locally, so I have purchased the stainless steel ones, I know they aren't ideal, but is there a reason that I absolutely shouldn't use them??

Thank-you, thank-you to everyone who has been there before in this hobby, and are so willing to help us newbies out. I am thrilled to finally be getting into this hobby and can't wait to see what my reef turns into!

Stacey

Welcome and Howdy from Texas.
I would run your UV and Phosban reactor off 1 pump. "Y" the output of the pump and put valves to control the flow to the reactor and UV unit. They will require different flow. Plastic pipe clamps will work to mount the UV to wood.

Hose clamps get something like this but in the correct size
https://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-F...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002HBLIQ

Hose / tubing something like this in the correct size
https://www.amazon.com/TotalPond-Vi...1549723226&sr=8-5&keywords=black+vinyl+tubing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You wont need UV yet but will be of benefit especially once algae starts to form.
You did not mention heater in which I swear by Titanium units with an attached temp probe ( Finnex brand) and cobalt neotherm also a great heater.
In the reactor -do not run Gfo, at least not yet
Select a good grade of salt such as Brightwell Neo, Reef Crystal, Fritz Pro or Red Sea Coral pro. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY OTHER QUESTIONS ALONG THE WAY. That is what you are here for

AWW-LOGO-1024x520.png

OP
OP
StaceysReef

StaceysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank-you all very much!! I knew I would find some great advice here!
Jekyl - I tend to do a lot of looking on BRS, time to do some buying I guess :)
SPR 1968 - VELCRO! How smart. I love it. You are so right about the flow rate, something that I will have to consider for sure. Also, that article has been VERY helpful. Thanks.
reef lover - plastic ratchet clamps, will do. I think I'll have to buy them from BRS. Anyone know if they are available in Canada? I wonder if reefsupplies.ca sells them. I'll have to check it out!
lapin - I was considering running the reactor and UV off a Y... I might just do that! Good suggestion about the flow rate.
vetteguy53081 - I do have a heater, the cobalt neotherm :). Thanks for the tips about when to, or not to, run the UV and GFO!!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%

Back