View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, yesterday a shipment with the following fish arrived at our home:

- 3 azure damselfish
- 1 six line wrasse
- 1 royal gramma

Yesterday, they were all doing fine after a short ruby pro dip. Eating, swimming around, discovering the pvc piping caves in our quarantine tank.
I noted that one azure damselfish had small areas of its body looking like in this thread, but smaller:

Reef2Reef Link

Some minutes ago, i noticed him laying on its side at the bottom of the QT. He's a goner by now. One othe Damsel shows a very small spot as well. I tried to take a picture:

IMG_9276.JPG

Am I correct to assume some bacterial or fungal infection? I decided to dose Ruby Rally Pro and mixed the food with Focus & Kanaplex.

Normally, I follow Jay Hemdals quarantine protocol. I did not dose anything before just now.

My battle plan is to dose Rally Pro for the next three days, Focus daily with food and Kanaplex every other day for a total of 3 uses.
Would you agree to my plan?
I made sure to have many medications available, but I am located in germany, so ordering something new from the US might take some weeks.

If my battle plan is okay-ish, how would i proceed with the quarantine protocol?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

- 3 azure damselfish
- 1 six line wrasse
- 1 royal gramma

Yesterday, they were all doing fine after a short ruby pro dip. Eating, swimming around, discovering the pvc piping caves in our quarantine tank.
I noted that one azure damselfish had small areas of its body looking like in this thread, but smaller:

Reef2Reef Link

Some minutes ago, i noticed him laying on its side at the bottom of the QT. He's a goner by now. One othe Damsel shows a very small spot as well. I tried to take a picture:

IMG_9276.JPG

Am I correct to assume some bacterial or fungal infection? I decided to dose Ruby Rally Pro and mixed the food with Focus & Kanaplex.

Normally, I follow Jay Hemdals quarantine protocol. I did not dose anything before just now.

My battle plan is to dose Rally Pro for the next three days, Focus daily with food and Kanaplex every other day for a total of 3 uses.
I made sure to have many medications available, but I am located in germany, so ordering something new from the US might take some weeks.

If my battle plan is okay-ish, how would i proceed with the quarantine protocol?

Thanks in advance!
Eric
Can be bacterial but my suspect is injury from netting. At times especially if you get someone inexperienced netting fish, they will cause damage without realizing it and ive seen some at LFS that are so rough on capture that I wonder if fish will be alive when the fish gets to customers' home

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- 3 azure damselfish
- 1 six line wrasse
- 1 royal gramma

Reef2Reef Link

IMG_9276.JPG

Thanks in advance!
Eric

It may just be shipping damage/stress. However, with any newly acquired damselfish that shows an "injury" you can't rule out uronema:

Skip the food + Focus unless you are calculating a proper dose (tough to do).

Jay

OP
OP
E

EricL.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be shipping damage/stress. However, with any newly acquired damselfish that shows an "injury" you can't rule out uronema:

Skip the food + Focus unless you are calculating a proper dose (tough to do).

Jay
Thanks!

I'll try calculating a proper dose, thanks for the great article!
Should i keep dosing ruby for 2 more days, then do a water change and proceed with the quarantine protocol (copper)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'll try calculating a proper dose, thanks for the great article!
Should i keep dosing ruby for 2 more days, then do a water change and proceed with the quarantine protocol (copper)?

What type of copper do you have available to you? There is an ionic copper in Europe that I don't suggest that people use due to toxicity. Coppersafe or Copper Power are the two safest ones.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back