Newly drilled tank

reef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my tank and have an Eshopps esclipes over flow but I’m finding it loud, I’ve head a gate or ball valve is the solution which I have but it makes no difference. The noise seems to be from the part inside the tank not out of the tank. Could this be because my return pipe? How does one direct the flow of a return pipe. I’m using 1 inch pvc and all the stores seem to only have flares for 3/4 or 1/2 inch. Looking for advice!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to match the drain rate to the return rate, which the gate valve allows you to do. If you are sucking air for instance, then closing the gate valve a bit will slow the rate of flow down the drain. Alternatively, increasing return flow can have the same effect. A picture of your setup, the overflow box in particular, would help immensely in troubleshooting your issue.

OP
OP
R

reef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to match the drain rate to the return rate, which the gate valve allows you to do. If you are sucking air for instance, then closing the gate valve a bit will slow the rate of flow down the drain. Alternatively, increasing return flow can have the same effect. A picture of your setup, the overflow box in particular, would help immensely in troubleshooting your issue.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Colodano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have found on the tank I have running the medium size Eshopps like that, is to get the back box water level to the top of the bulkhead from inside the tank, just before its going down the emergency drain tube. Definitely easiest with a gate valve, I put a ball valve in thinking it would be ok, but its too sticky to tune perfectly vs the return pump. Using aReefbreeders DC return pump, and have tried a few different flow levels coming to the same result.

OP
OP
R

reef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I have a ball valve too but I think I’ve got it mostly worked out

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • NO

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back