News from Belize

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a chance to snorkel this site several times and one night dive.
Am going to make a contribution today
[Linked Image]

https://www.gofundme.com/f/hol-chan-marine-res-preserving-biodiversity

Hol Chan Marine Reserve (HCMR), Belize, Central America, was established in 1987 as a community-based initiative to address conflicts between tourism and fishing use. The entire reserve covers approximately 161 square miles (417 sq. km) and is divided into eight zones: reef, seagrass beds, mangrove, no-take zones, and recreational zones. Hol Chan is a fisheries management tool to allow for sustainable use of resources while conserving critical biodiversity.

The livelihood of the residents of the San Pedro and Caye Caulker communities depend largely on tourism and fisheries. These communities are home to over 300 fishers, 625 tour guides, 91 tour operators, and their families, not to mention all persons employed in the hospitality industry. The success of the tourism and fisheries sectors of these communities is directly tied to the health of the surrounding marine ecosystems, which Hol Chan is entrusted with safeguarding.

The COVID-19 Pandemic has brought tourism activities to a halt. Like the community, Hol Chan has also relied on tourism to finance its management. In spite of having Zero Revenues since March 2020, Hol Chan has continued carrying out its daily operations in the Reserve. Our 21 Rangers have continued to patrol the waters to ensure that when tourism resumes, the abundance of biodiversity that Hol Chan is known for, remains for future visitors to enjoy. With many unemployed persons turning to marine products to feed their families, the threat of poaching has increased significantly, and with no revenues, it is getting more challenging to maintain these patrols.

In 2019, Stoney Coral Tissue Loss Disease, a very fast-moving coral disease with a 100% mortality if left untreated, was discovered inside the boundaries of the reserve. The efforts to address this disease has also been affected by COVID-19, along with other activities such as monitoring of the sea turtle nesting beaches in Ambergris Caye.

Your contributions will allow Hol Chan to continue safeguarding the marine ecosystems for the livelihood of the community and continued conservation of the reef.

Program Areas:
Research and Monitoring
· Coral reef and disease monitoring
· Sea turtle nest monitoring
· Commercial species management

Enforcement Surveillance
· 24 hour surveillance of the Reserve
· 24 hour protection of the biodiversity
· Utilization and Visitation Management

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! I've been, it's one of my favorite places. This deserves a repost:

All, please consider donating to protecting another one of natures natural wonders... If you haven't been to Belize and you love marine life add it to you list .

Hol Chan Marine Reserve (HCMR), Belize, Central America, was established in 1987 as a community-based initiative to address conflicts between tourism and fishing use. The entire reserve covers approximately 161 square miles (417 sq. km) and is divided into eight zones: reef, seagrass beds, mangrove, no-take zones, and recreational zones. Hol Chan is a fisheries management tool to allow for sustainable use of resources while conserving critical biodiversity.

The livelihood of the residents of the San Pedro and Caye Caulker communities depend largely on tourism and fisheries. These communities are home to over 300 fishers, 625 tour guides, 91 tour operators, and their families, not to mention all persons employed in the hospitality industry. The success of the tourism and fisheries sectors of these communities is directly tied to the health of the surrounding marine ecosystems, which Hol Chan is entrusted with safeguarding.

The COVID-19 Pandemic has brought tourism activities to a halt. Like the community, Hol Chan has also relied on tourism to finance its management. In spite of having Zero Revenues since March 2020, Hol Chan has continued carrying out its daily operations in the Reserve. Our 21 Rangers have continued to patrol the waters to ensure that when tourism resumes, the abundance of biodiversity that Hol Chan is known for, remains for future visitors to enjoy. With many unemployed persons turning to marine products to feed their families, the threat of poaching has increased significantly, and with no revenues, it is getting more challenging to maintain these patrols.

In 2019, Stoney Coral Tissue Loss Disease, a very fast-moving coral disease with a 100% mortality if left untreated, was discovered inside the boundaries of the reserve. The efforts to address this disease has also been affected by COVID-19, along with other activities such as monitoring of the sea turtle nesting beaches in Ambergris Caye.

Your contributions will allow Hol Chan to continue safeguarding the marine ecosystems for the livelihood of the community and continued conservation of the reef.

Program Areas:
Research and Monitoring
· Coral reef and disease monitoring
· Sea turtle nest monitoring
· Commercial species management

Enforcement Surveillance
· 24 hour surveillance of the Reserve
· 24 hour protection of the biodiversity
· Utilization and Visitation Management

@fishguy242 Can't remember if you've been here before, but both the diving and fishing (not the reserve:) ) are amazing. Belize is a beautiful place to visit if you love all things marine.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to ambergris caye seven times favorite place to dive for sure!

Hol chan is definitely a cool spot, if you have an extra day to burn, some awesome dives to be had out at turneffe atoll too and the blue hole is life changing.

I love San pedro not only for its diving, but the people are very friendly and nightlife is excellent! Jaguars outside bar was always my favorite hangout.

First time I went down when I was still a kid and bunch of the local kids took me back into the mangrove swamp to feed chickens to the crocodiles!

Have a lot of fond memories of ambergris caye/San pedro, hope to go back sometime soon.

I imagine they are taking a hit right now with the pandemic as well as the few storms they have had this year.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to ambergris caye seven times favorite place to dive for sure!

Hol chan is definitely a cool spot, if you have an extra day to burn, some awesome dives to be had out at turneffe atoll too and the blue hole is life changing.

I love San pedro not only for its diving, but the people are very friendly and nightlife is excellent! Jaguars outside bar was always my favorite hangout.

First time I went down when I was still a kid and bunch of the local kids took me back into the mangrove swamp to feed chickens to the crocodiles!

Have a lot of fond memories of ambergris caye/San pedro, hope to go back sometime soon.

I imagine they are taking a hit right now with the pandemic as well as the few storms they have had this year.

It is a wonderful country with wonderful people and their conservation ethic goes well beyond the reef -

it has been too long since I have been there and the risk to Hol Chan threatens a true Americas treasure.

Anything we can do to support it is 1) the right thing to do and 2) great for the future of the reefs and therefore our hobby. -

So I implore any of you out there to contribute the cost of a Royal Gramma to the cause and see if we can't make a difference

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a wonderful country with wonderful people and their conservation ethic goes well beyond the reef -

it has been too long since I have been there and the risk to Hol Chan threatens a true Americas treasure.

Anything we can do to support it is 1) the right thing to do and 2) great for the future of the reefs and therefore our hobby. -

So I implore any of you out there to contribute the cost of a Royal Gramma to the cause and see if we can't make a difference

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back