Nico's Nano Tank Build Thread

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have been on here for a long time and I've never started a build thread of my tank. I figured today would be a good day :) I currently have a 150g set up but I picked up this awesome little set up last weekend and I thought I'd share. This tank will mainly be set up for frags, clowns and anemones. I just finished setting it up yesterday, took 2 pieces of live rocks from my existing tank, added the GSP rock I've had sitting in my sump with macros growing on it. Ok so here goes:

Tank = Advance Acrylic Rimless 15G (23x17x9) with a ghost overflow, Herbie drain with a back up drain, all hard plumb with quick connect/disconnect
Stand = Nothing fancy but it holds the tank in place
Sump = 14g with 2 baffles
Return Pump = Jebao DCP3000
Lighting = Mars Aqua Full Spectrum 165W LED
Total Water Volume = 29g

I have a question, do you guys think the tank will go through a mini cycle? I'm thinking it wouldn't based on the fact that all the live rocks I put in are matured. Please let me know if you guys think it's safe to add livestocks already. All suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated :) Happy Reefing!

iTMaQdcWTZy0Sva2a007dw.jpg

ZPRYm93QTYuH4JgFSxSW9w.jpg
jRw9JUQQT8CfNoujzXtpdQ.jpg
AcOdm%3GRiGJFAvfDJNMYg.jpg
YibyZkpPR1eV6%S%XtpvZQ.jpg
+iiiAXaCTzeqOyLQiIr73g.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the tank with some pure ammonia (no added scent, etc.) up to 1 ppm. That's roughly 1 drop of ammonia per gallon of tank water capacity. Test in 24 hours. If zero, you are good to go.
Are you going to leave the top open without some sort of mesh, etc.?

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the tank with some pure ammonia (no added scent, etc.) up to 1 ppm. That's roughly 1 drop of ammonia per gallon of tank water capacity. Test in 24 hours. If zero, you are good to go.

I will be getting a Lid for it, thanks for the suggestion.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a Lid for it, thanks for the suggestion.
Could be for your own protection, not just to keep the fish in. There was a member posted a few months back about his clown jumped out of the water and bit him on the eye while doing maintenance. Yep, right on the eyeball. Yikes!

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be for your own protection, not just to keep the fish in. There was a member posted a few months back about his clown jumped out of the water and bit him on the eye while doing maintenance. Yep, right on the eyeball. Yikes!

Ouch! ok thanks for the warning I will definitely be getting a cover.

BigT75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nico you always amaze me with the things that you do I appreciate all the help since I started again and now that I’m in Oregon I’ll be looking forward to getting mine set up yet again keep up the good work !!!!

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nico you always amaze me with the things that you do I appreciate all the help since I started again and now that I’m in Oregon I’ll be looking forward to getting mine set up yet again keep up the good work !!!!

Thanks big Guy ;Happy anytime text me, PM me, call me I'm always happy to share knowledge. I cant' wait to see what your building, post a thread as well.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great Nico, very nice indeed!

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, let me ask you something. If the tank has ammonia, not that I know yet coz I haven’t tested for it. Wouldn’t the GSP get affected right away?

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 Ammonia Big G, livestocks here we come!. I will post pictures of the inhabitants once they settle in.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like this tank is not gonna be an anemone tank
wink.gif
since I found a few corals in the main tank that I haven't glued down. Excuse the egg crate, it's just temporary until I find the right spot for the frags that are on it.

IMG_6148.jpg IMG_6153.jpg IMG_6154.jpg IMG_6149.jpg IMG_6150.jpg IMG_6151.jpg IMG_6152.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back