NICREW HyperReef blackbox hard to find info

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this light on amazon and got curious about their performance/features but couldn't find some specific info. After some research and reaching out to the company I figured I should share on here for others to find.
the light comes in variety of sizes from 30w to 150w 4 puck

$119 AND includes the mounting arm??!!!!

It has 2 channels and no controls other than 3 buttons that allow you to select white channel or blue or both and intensity for each.

Pros over other black boxes? It has an outside power supply and not just 110v plug directly in to the light, making the light more slick looking and eliminating a plugged-in toaster above your tank in case of an accident.

when watching their YouTube clip I noticed they mentioned a 0-10v in/out jacks for controller and chain but had no info listed anywhere in regards to jacks or what they are for.
After several email back and forth, here is what they told me about the light control.

" Yes we have tested the Spectral controller X with our HyperReef 100w, you can set the intensity of the blue channel or the white channel from 1 to 100, so there are plenty of channels of spectrum you can choose from, it also has the dimming feature and can simulate the sunrise and sunset effect. "

so if kessil spectral controller x works then I'm sure Reef Pi and other can be used.

I ordered one to play with while my display is still backordered, they have 90% lenses so if I like it then I might get another one to go over 30x24" mixed reef. or keep it for coral QT.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this light on amazon and got curious about their performance/features but couldn't find some specific info. After some research and reaching out to the company I figured I should share on here for others to find.

It has 2 channels and no controls other than 3 buttons that allow you to select white channel or blue or both and intensity for each.

Pros over other black boxes? It has an outside power supply and not just 110v plug directly in to the light, making the light more slick looking and eliminating a plugged-in toaster above your tank in case of an accident.

when watching their YouTube clip I noticed they mentioned a 0-10v in/out jacks for controller and chain but had no info listed anywhere in regards to jacks or what they are for.
After several email back and forth, here is what they told me about the light control.

" Yes we have tested the Spectral controller X with our HyperReef 100w, you can set the intensity of the blue channel or the white channel from 1 to 100, so there are plenty of channels of spectrum you can choose from, it also has the dimming feature and can simulate the sunrise and sunset effect. "

so if kessil spectral controller x works then I'm sure Reef Pi and other can be used.

I ordered one to play with while my display is still backordered, they have 90% lenses so if I like it then I might get another one to go over 30x24" mixed reef. or keep it for coral QT.
I have Nicrew 30w light, the one that is a cylinder and looks kinda like a Kessil. I just got it to be a fill in on the sides of my tank where my Radion XR15 doesn't reach too well. It’s ok, makes some of the Zoas pop a little. It’s ok for what it is. You cant beat the price for supplemental lighting. I’m interested to see what yours looks like. I have the IM50 Lagoon AIO so you have a little more real estate in the DT to light up than I do.

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into two of the 100w's to replace my current usa's over my 60g long. Alos the viparspectra but can't decide

xshmoox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3-100w on my 125 tank that’s going to be sps I’m going to add a 4th so I can hit higher pars at lower depths and be more even. Also I’m only going to run blue channel on 100 and white channel on 40. I currently have a par meter from brs at my house on rent. Ignore the one not sitting level as I have to trim the top brace a bit to slide it down all the way.

Attachments

• D5AE777C-4432-423E-A4F7-007D49A9D778.jpeg
    D5AE777C-4432-423E-A4F7-007D49A9D778.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 387

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3-100w on my 125 tank that’s going to be sps I’m going to add a 4th so I can hit higher pars at lower depths and be more even. Also I’m only going to run blue channel on 100 and white channel on 40. I currently have a par meter from brs at my house on rent. Ignore the one not sitting level as I have to trim the top brace a bit to slide it down all the way.
So do you think two 100w would be good for a 60g long or would two viparspectras

xshmoox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 would be good . The vipars will probably give a little more even coverage/par reading throughout. Not sure what you’re going to grow. But with these you won’t have to worry about hanging them the mount is actually pretty nice for the cost of it. I just have mine on the setting I like and they turn off and on by a wifi power strip. They said they were gonna release a controller for them but if the kessil spectral controller will work that’d be awesome.

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 would be good . The vipars will probably give a little more even coverage/par reading throughout. Not sure what you’re going to grow. But with these you won’t have to worry about hanging them the mount is actually pretty nice for the cost of it. I just have mine on the setting I like and they turn off and on by a wifi power strip. They said they were gonna release a controller for them but if the kessil spectral controller will work that’d be awesome.
I hope to grow everything

Mark917

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to mount these (2X 50W) on my 40 breeder and realized that I have to trim the top brace to get them on right. I expect that the mounting screws will be in the water if I mount these flush with the top of the brace. Do yours hit the water line at all?

Fishonista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just bought some of these lights and there is not much out there. I plan to hook them to my apex. I will attach the info I have gathered. I plan to buy the cord that connects kessil to apex and try an adapter or re wire the cord. From there I don’t really know how to program them. I’ll have to try to find some you tube videos.
1FF26D6F-16DA-4EFF-85CF-98ED2A92E36F.png

Fishonista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just bought some of these lights and there is not much out there. I plan to hook them to my apex. I will attach the info I have gathered. I plan to buy the cord that connects kessil to apex and try an adapter or re wire the cord. From there I don’t really know how to program them. I’ll have to try to find some you tube videos.
1FF26D6F-16DA-4EFF-85CF-98ED2A92E36F.png

xshmoox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you get the light and test on the spectral controller yet? Would love to know before ordering a controller

OP
OP
daybreaksky

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the light and test on the spectral controller yet? Would love to know before ordering a controller
I got the light and ended up getting twice as big of a tank sooooo I got the 100w on a standard timer on my 10g nano. It's great but I haven't had a chance to try controlling it.
Ended up buying 2 vipras for my DT and modding lenses and fans. Grabbed them on sale for $100 each including tax and shipping and it was hard to pass up

xshmoox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha yeah I have my 3 on a WiFi surge protector so I can set timers. Corals really don’t care about sunrise and sunset and the nice thing is I can just hit the button in the front quick to change to all blues

Back