NICREW HyperReef blackbox hard to find info

TheTangFuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Can you attach some photos of the cable and pinouts. I bought the 150W for my upcoming 220G build.
I have not bought these lights, but this is what Nicrew told me on FB
1609178403941.png

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Nicrew tech support and they were very fast to respond, great! They send me a diagram of the pinout of the port so we can make our cable now!
Here is a summary for the ones that cannot see the attached image, pin 1 is the tip of the 3.5mm plug:

Pin. Purpose
1. Blue Intensity
2. White Intensity
3. +24V - Short to ground(Pin4) for 3-pin mode
4. Ground

I hope this helps someone.

Diagram.png

TheTangFuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Nicrew tech support and they were very fast to respond, great! They send me a diagram of the pinout of the port so we can make our cable now!
Here is a summary for the ones that cannot see the attached image, pin 1 is the tip of the 3.5mm plug:

Pin. Purpose
1. Blue Intensity
2. White Intensity
3. +24V - Short to ground(Pin4) for 3-pin mode
4. Ground

I hope this helps someone.

Diagram.png
1609250334640.png

I've gotten this information from them as well. Not sure if we need to modify the cable or if they are claiming that the current one from kessil works.

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1609250334640.png

I've gotten this information from them as well. Not sure if we need to modify the cable or if they are claiming that the current one from kessil works.
What I understand is that you can use the Kessil cable so long as you short pin 3 and 4 on the input to the lights. In my case, I'll be connecting it to a robo-tank board so I will be making a custom cable.

xshmoox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this pinout only to use the cable on your apex? I was wondering if I used the kessil controller do I still have to change anything on the cables?

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I'm going to ask here because I assume no one else will have ever heard of Nicrew lights. I've got a new 40B and have been looking at lighting for about a month. These lights seem like a nice alternative to the black box because they come with the mounting arms. However, I'm not really sure how much light I will need for my tank. I currently just have softies but plan to keep LPS and mayyybe an anemone as the tank ages. I have a Fluval Marine 2.0 on there currently but, it isn't doing my coral many favors. The zoas have had one baby and in the one month that it has been set up the tank is already becoming covered in coraline algae but otherwise they've been looking pretty miserable (water quality is fine) as of late so the light needs to go - or at least only be a supplemental source of light....?
So, given all that info (perhaps too much) could I get by with just one 100W on a 40B or will I need two 100W? I saw someone earlier in the year post that they had gotten two 50W but that didn't sound right to me. TIA!

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I'm going to ask here because I assume no one else will have ever heard of Nicrew lights. I've got a new 40B and have been looking at lighting for about a month. These lights seem like a nice alternative to the black box because they come with the mounting arms. However, I'm not really sure how much light I will need for my tank. I currently just have softies but plan to keep LPS and mayyybe an anemone as the tank ages. I have a Fluval Marine 2.0 on there currently but, it isn't doing my coral many favors. The zoas have had one baby and in the one month that it has been set up the tank is already becoming covered in coraline algae but otherwise they've been looking pretty miserable (water quality is fine) as of late so the light needs to go - or at least only be a supplemental source of light....?
So, given all that info (perhaps too much) could I get by with just one 100W on a 40B or will I need two 100W? I saw someone earlier in the year post that they had gotten two 50W but that didn't sound right to me. TIA!
Another option is you could go with the ledzeal zeus 150 but the nicrews are very powerful so you could probably do one 100w

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is you could go with the ledzeal zeus 150 but the nicrews are very powerful so you could probably do one 100w
We don't have the ledzeal zeus available in the US it seems. One 100w will be enough spread for a 40B? I would love to buy just one lol

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I understand is that you can use the Kessil cable so long as you short pin 3 and 4 on the input to the lights. In my case, I'll be connecting it to a robo-tank board so I will be making a custom cable.
Were you able to get this to work with your Robo-tank? IF so can you send a pic of your custom cable? I currently have two of the HyperReef 50s on my tank connected to a Kessil controller but I would like to integrate them into my Robo-tank instead.

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get this to work with your Robo-tank? IF so can you send a pic of your custom cable? I currently have two of the HyperReef 50s on my tank connected to a Kessil controller but I would like to integrate them into my Robo-tank instead.
I made the cable and connected to light 1/2 outputs of the robo-tank board. I am able to control them however once I start dimming, the lights start to flicker. I made another cable and it also makes the light flicker when dimming. I contacted Nicrew and they suggested an already made cable from Amazon. I bought the cable but have not had a chance to install it yet. My tank is 9 weeks old and I plan on not turning on the lights until week 16 so I have time to sort this out.

The kessil unit will be plan b.

Let me know if they work out for you

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the Kessil controller X or A? Nicrew says the A-controller is not compatible but the A and X are both 0-10V capable so I don't understand what is the difference? They emailed me last week and said the reef-pi flickering is a sign it's not compatible. The reef pi is also a 0-10V controller.

Please let me know if you try the robo-tank controller with your lights, attached is the pinout of the cable they sent me. Pin 3 is shorted to 4 (ground) to connect it to a 0-10V controller

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 88

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the cable and connected to light 1/2 outputs of the robo-tank board. I am able to control them however once I start dimming, the lights start to flicker. I made another cable and it also makes the light flicker when dimming. I contacted Nicrew and they suggested an already made cable from Amazon. I bought the cable but have not had a chance to install it yet. My tank is 9 weeks old and I plan on not turning on the lights until week 16 so I have time to sort this out.

I ordered my Robo-Tank and am still waiting for it to be delivered. What cable did they suggest from Amazon that you got? Do you have a link to it? When I get my robo-tank I will buy it and try it out.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you try changing the frequency of the pca9685 driver to 600? That should clear up the flickering.

eliben10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is looking to connect this bad boy to apex for cheap -

I successfully connected to apex using one of these 4 pole 3.5mm to speaker wire. Basically cut the end of an ethernet cable and use the wires from pins 3-ground, 4-Left or White and 8-Right or Blue. ONLY 3 WIRES. The ethernet cable's (cat5) wires are color coded so you can easily see which wire is which pin. The adapter is also clearly marked Left, Right, Ground, and 24v. YOU DO NOT NEED THE 24V.

Various cables on bulk reef etc will not work because they are 3pole stereo plugs.

Here is the link to the adapter -

51CBE9eslBS._SL1500_.jpg
used

phxreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had success with the previous mentioned cord/ cat5 combo. Wiring it up tomorrow, don’t want to blow the apex

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back