Nigaloo Clam for Sale on DD

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just saw this thread. I am the person that bought the other Ningaloo clam. Lasted just over 14 days. Figures. When it came in the foot was damaged. It had been attached to a rock and shipped in the bag with the rock which probably because of being bounced around during shipment, tore the rock with the foot off. I called immediately but was told since it was alive that it would fall under the 14 day arrive alive, stay alive warranty. It wasn't just the filaments, it was actual damage to the clam. Expensive mistake.
IMG_8022[1].JPG IMG_8023[1].JPG

clam foot 2.JPG

clam foot.JPG
That's horrible.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, Divers Den has extended the warranty when a specimen has been received and is not looking well from the start - especially a clam showing damage. Shipping a clam with a rock attached to it is sheer stupidity unless the clam is packaged so that there is virtually no movement by the rock or the clam. Threads are easily cut without damaging the clam in any way for shipping. One of the last clams I received from them arrived looking like it had been dead in the bag for 2 or 3 days. It was totally sunken in, slime everywhere, water was filthy dirty and stunk like heck when I opened the bag. No way that clam perished in a day and looked and smelled like that. Unfortunately, LA and Diver's Den continue to go down hill as does their customer service I am sorry to say. I have not read any posts of late commending their livestock be it fish, clams or customer service.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shredded, I would raise this higher than the first level folks. That clam was DOA, it was just not finished off yet. In any case, it sucks and I was hoping to have that clam for a decade.

I wonder if they had to give too many refunds since they have not posted too many new clams lately. I cannot imagine that they care too much about the deaths, but the refunds would get their attention.

Sense of nature

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad how the company had just gone to crap since the buy out :(
I remember when frags used to be shipped attached to Styrofoam pieces & suspended in the bags so they would not get damaged in shipping.
Now your lucky if there is enough water in the bag to cover the frag :(

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shredded, I would raise this higher than the first level folks. That clam was DOA, it was just not finished off yet. In any case, it sucks and I was hoping to have that clam for a decade.

I wonder if they had to give too many refunds since they have not posted too many new clams lately. I cannot imagine that they care too much about the deaths, but the refunds would get their attention.
I also noticed they have had no new clams at all for quite a few days now and wonder if it finally caught up with them.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I have tried them a couple of times with some failure. Death of any livestock is sad and so disappointing. I've had fish from them that came in covered in ich (covered!) and that didn't happen in less then 24 hours shipping time so they left their facility that way. They claim that fish that don't look healthy are not shipped. My total cost for that shipment with the clam was 1500.00. Total losses were greater then 2/3. I won't do it again.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! $1500!

I would have a lawyer call them. That is insane.

I am the last person to say sue someone but in this case...

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Petco bought them out things have really gone downhill. What did they think was going to happen, they have a terrible reputation and just because they bought them doesn't mean they can keep it running like it used to. I'm sorry for all your losses, not just monetary but the loss of such potentially long lived clams.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They started to go downhill before PetCo purchased them. The first sign of issues when when they replaced all of their MH over the SPS and clams with Radions. This led to them having to take photos on black sand instead of the white that they used to. There is no doubt to me that they were finished off after the PetCo purchase.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They started to go downhill before PetCo purchased them. The first sign of issues when when they replaced all of their MH over the SPS and clams with Radions. This led to them having to take photos on black sand instead of the white that they used to. There is no doubt to me that they were finished off after the PetCo purchase.

Huh, I thought going away from MH was the only good choice they made in the past number of years. ;)

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags have sucked since then - the ones that they grew and the ones that they got from TCN. TCN used to supply them all kinds of nice frags from LEs to some newer trendy stuff - Purple Monster, Orange Passion, GC Ultimate Stag, a few RR corals, Atlantis Aquarium Frags, etc. I have not seen any TCN frags in a while. Wild acros are worse now. Nobody can argue with the clams being bad. The best frags are shipped from ORA direct in Florida and never made it to Wisconsin.

There is no doubt that this is just a piece of the whole puzzle, but this was the first outward sign of change, and change for the worse. Edited photos and black sand was no good, but happened at the same time. If anybody remembers, they were always very honest with their photos when they were still going well - when the blue, trick lighting phase began, I used to send people to their website to see how corals really look in real life.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags have sucked since then - the ones that they grew and the ones that they got from TCN. TCN used to supply them all kinds of nice frags from LEs to some newer trendy stuff - Purple Monster, Orange Passion, GC Ultimate Stag, a few RR corals, Atlantis Aquarium Frags, etc. I have not seen any TCN frags in a while. Wild acros are worse now. Nobody can argue with the clams being bad. The best frags are shipped from ORA direct in Florida and never made it to Wisconsin.

There is no doubt that this is just a piece of the whole puzzle, but this was the first outward sign of change, and change for the worse. Edited photos and black sand was no good, but happened at the same time. If anybody remembers, they were always very honest with their photos when they were still going well - when the blue, trick lighting phase began, I used to send people to their website to see how corals really look in real life.

I totally agree and was just giving you a hard time. I have had two clam heavy systems wiped out from DD clams in the past few years. First time I thought could have been a fluke, waited a year or two, totally new system - exact same thing happened. Otherwise healthy clams - added DD clam, they all get sick and die.

I got an original purple monster from them years ago, and you are right, don't see anything like that now. I did get a TCN weeping willow and Japanese weeping willow from DD not long ago but nothing sps wise.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely have an issue with their clams, I got a Maxima about a month ago from my local petco it looked healthy great reaction, it was at the store just a few days, lasted a week in my tank, first five days looked good went away for a long weekend came back Monday to a half dead clam next morning my clean up crew did what they do. Remind you I have another Maxima clam thats been in my system close to 2 years. So it wasn’t my numbers nothing spiked etc... I Think it was just a unhealthy clam

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I thought going away from MH was the only good choice they made in the past number of years. ;)

For corals possibly (but I much prefer MH, T5's, T5 Arcadia LED's and ReefBrite blue strips supplementing), but not for clams. Metal halides are the closest lighting to replicate sunlight which is what a clam needs to thrive IMO.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel things like that could be misleading to others looking for information on care for a clam and come across this, I have a Maxima clam at the bottom of my sandbed which has been in my tank for almost 2 years and has almost doubled in size under LEDs since day one and it’s still thriving.

I mean yes T5s are good MH are great but we understan more and more every year on how our creatures in our tanks react to certain lights and intensity’s so I feel we have to stop With these miss conceptions that LEDs won’t cut it and to be successful it has to be done a certain way ONLY it’s just not true

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my part, final homes after four+ moves are different than landing and moving out clams. Acros are the same way. The both do better in holding tanks in the South Pacific under sunlight, LA under sunlight or HID, then they go to Wisconsin (another hop that most do not have) and they did better there under MH. No doubt that they can do OK in the final landing spot under a variety of lights, but along the way where the stress is greatest, the closest thing to sunlight has seemed to be the best.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my part, final homes after four+ moves are different than landing and moving out clams. Acros are the same way. The both do better in holding tanks in the South Pacific under sunlight, LA under sunlight or HID, then they go to Wisconsin (another hop that most do not have) and they did better there under MH. No doubt that they can do OK in the final landing spot under a variety of lights, but along the way where the stress is greatest, the closest thing to sunlight has seemed to be the best.

This is a good point. Clams are not aquacultured the same way as many coral varieties. Most clams are grown in raceways with natural saltwater ocean water flow through under shade cloth in sunlight. Clearly a healthy clam does well under many lighting types, but care in collection/shipping/landing seems to be key. Pacific East aquaculture puts clams in sunlight greenhouses and their clams seem to do much better. But nothing is foolproof. I have 3 Maxima's from PEA that have put on a good deal of growth under orpheks, but ordered two more and they have not taken off like the 1st 3 and didn't look as good when they arrived. No clue if the 2 will make it, so they are just so variable and unique clam to clam. I also suspect not only the light but the transition to artificial saltwater is also difficult for them - a double whammy.

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have for a long time suspected that there is another protoza or something that mimics symptoms of E. Perkinsus. But I also think that the aforementioned stresses of shipping and other changes are just far too much for clams to handle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back