Niger triger behavior after adding a picasso trigger

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a picasso trigger to my 200gal with a niger trigger and 2 Clarkii clownfish. They are very curious about eachother, not hurting oneanother, however, the picasso is spitting mouthfuls of sand and the niger is diving in the sand and flicking up sand with his tail. Is this aggression? This is only day 2.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just normal trigger behavior, in your size tank you should have no problem with those two. Maybe a little territorial display, but completely normal, I'm surprised you hadn't seen the niger doing his thing before. The risk is at initial introduction, after that those two should be fine, any bickering will be normal and nothing to get stressed about, its just what triggers do

OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a picasso trigger to my 200gal with a niger trigger and 2 Clarkii clownfish. They are very curious about eachother, not hurting oneanother, however, the picasso is spitting mouthfuls of sand and the niger is diving in the sand and flicking up sand with his tail. Is this aggression? This is only day 2.
Hello,
So, it seems that the Niger has not calmed down and the Clarkii female is relentlessly going after this guy. He is not aggressive in the least. Very cool fish and I'm tired of seeing him harassed. Will they eventually leave him alone? I also added a diamond watchman goby, but the others could care less about him?? Thank you for your response.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So, it seems that the Niger has not calmed down and the Clarkii female is relentlessly going after this guy. He is not aggressive in the least. Very cool fish and I'm tired of seeing him harassed. Will they eventually leave him alone? I also added a diamond watchman goby, but the others could care less about him?? Thank you for your response.

Are you saying a clarkii clown is now going after the niger? Is it stopping the niger from eating or is there obvious damage like torn or nipped fins. Unless the niger is greatly outmatched by size, eventually the clarkii will stop. because the niger is going to make her stop. Is the niger doing this horizontal move where he's like fanning his tail and excavating out sand at the base of the rocks, or maybe even moving rocks, that's something they do that will drive some people crazy, but that's what they do.

OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the Clarkii is going after the picasso trigger. She dosen't bother the Niger. The Niger is throwing himself in the sand after swimming very fast across the tank and smacking the sand with his tail. He also hovers over the picasso and bumps him occasionally. The Niger is not biting the picasso. Everyone is eating. I'm just concerned. Thank you.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the Clarkii is going after the picasso trigger. She dosen't bother the Niger. The Niger is throwing himself in the sand after swimming very fast across the tank and smacking the sand with his tail. He also hovers over the picasso and bumps him occasionally. The Niger is not biting the picasso. Everyone is eating. I'm just concerned. Thank you.

As long as everyone is eating and there;s no nipped or torn fins, they should work it out.

OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the help. I am a newbie to saltwater, but have kept freshwater, including Cichlids and various other types for years. I do a lot of research, but somethings are contradictory. I appreciate the advice!

OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the help. I am a newbie to saltwater, but have kept freshwater, including Cichlids and various other types for years. I do a lot of research, but somethings are contradictory. I appreciate the advice!
Hi, yet again, I have another question. My Niger triggerfish has scrapes along his stomach and his eyes are cloudy white from possibly the rocks and sandbed. Is there something else going on with this fish? All other fish are fine. (2 Clarkii clownfish, picasso trigger, diamond goby, and lawnmower blenny + turbo snails and red leg crabs) I'm not sure what to do. Thank you.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yet again, I have another question. My Niger triggerfish has scrapes along his stomach and his eyes are cloudy white from possibly the rocks and sandbed. Is there something else going on with this fish? All other fish are fine. (2 Clarkii clownfish, picasso trigger, diamond goby, and lawnmower blenny + turbo snails and red leg crabs) I'm not sure what to do. Thank you.

You should get a pic and post in the disease forum. Cloudy eyes will not be from normal activity, if his skin looks like it may be peeling then this is bad news. I do not want to ahead of myself before you get pics and give more details, post in disease forum to get advice from people more qualified.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back