Niger Trigger sudden aggression

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 Gallon FOWLR tank. I currently have a ~5.5 inch Niger Trigger, ~5 inch dog face puffer and ~ 5.5-6 inch Blond naso tang (Yes I know they will outgrow this tank and have plans in place.) The Niger trigger arrived first and the Blonde Naso and Dogface came the next day. (They have been in the tank about a month now) At the beginning the Trigger was picking on the puffer and even bit him pretty good on the cheek. After about 2 days of this, the puffer turned around and bit him back pretty good. Since then they have been getting along great. A couple days ago, I noticed what could have been a trigger bite on the side of the puffer but wasn't sure. Today I came home and noticed the puffer had what looked like a couple more bites, but he also had some marks that didn't look like teeth. I just added in two wave makers and although the trigger and tang seem to love them, the puffer isn't a fan- so I thought maybe he just got caught in a current and maybe scrapped against the rock. Then I saw the trigger go after him and bite him on his belly.
IMG_3652.JPG
IMG_2463.JPG
So if all of the new marks are actually bites, the trigger got him about 4-5 times tonight. He doesn't seem overly scared of the trigger and will swim by him, but he is definitely stressed. What could have caused this sudden burst of aggression from the trigger- only towards the puffer. Is there anything I can do to make peace? How long should I let them work it out (they did quickly before, but he also didn't get him so many times). Is there anything I need to do for the puffer and the bites?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that those fish need to be in a six foot tank right now, 180 minimum. If you bought the niger at 5.5" right from the ocean he will alot more aggressive as well. Keeping a large trigger in a small tank spells disaster. Sorry to say but in reality the niger and the naso need to go back to the lfs or be rehomed. I wouldn't trust them in that that tank long enough for you to upgrade to a 180g plus.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that the issue is territorial fish in too small of a space. They need to be in a bigger tank already.

What to do about the trigger bites? Seperate the trigger and puffer immediately.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with a large (6-8", hard to measure with the steamers) niger and a 5-6" puffer in a 240. The puffer is not a factor, the niger likes to chase my purple tang which he will never catch, and occasionally my 5" clown trigger. You've got to have plenty of space as they are swimmers, my niger is all over the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back