Niger Trigger

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I currently have a 125 with a 55 gallon sump. I have a pair of oscellaris clowns hosting a good sized BTA, a pair of Bangii cardinals, a lawnmower blenny, a yellow tang and a blue chromis. CUC consists of a coral banded shrimp, an emerald crab and around 10 hermits. Also, have a kenya tree, couple small leather toadstool and a couple mushroom corals. Getting ready to transfer some larger mushrooms from a grow out tank.

My question is, my LFS has a couple of healthy looking small (under 3 inch) niger triggers and I really want one. Would one be OK with my current setup?

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Troy

Knotyet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one about 2 months ago in my 110 and hes too aggressive wish I never got him. He just bit the top tail fin off one of my anthias and he chases other fish too.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will go after your blenny, shrimp, and possibly chromis. For your CUC, they will go after snails,crabs,etc. I switched from aggressive tank to reef because of how much they were costing me in CUC and the tank started to get a lot of film algae since all my snails kept getting killed.
As for corals, it really shouldn't bother them, but with it's teeth it could if it was hungry enough.

This is an older video of mine as i was getting rid of my aggressive fish, you can see the blenny come out, but he moves very fast since the Niger would pick on it, youll even see the humu look at him and kinda bug him, tangs are generally fine, same with clowns as shown.

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one in my 180, keep it fed and it will be pretty calm. But it’s a TRIGGER and does what triggers do, keep that in mind!

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I should hold out for a Kole tang.... Thanks for the insight. I am wanting more fish but since the lack of choices due to Covid and I only have 2 stores in town with any saltwater at all, patience is thin lolo......

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Theyre overall docile and the fact that clowns were there first- should be ok. Get as small as possible.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you'll be fine.... Seriously, all of the opinions above are right. It depends on the fish. Some will work, some won't. The Clown I have is a bigger risk than the Niger. Smaller the better. Last in, and be ready to get it out if it goes berserk on you.

8A26D717-26BE-4734-890B-B027B4E81535.jpeg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and watch your fingers, mine will bite if I have a finger dangling in the water lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back