Nikon d5100 need Marco lens

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimmyzhou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

IMG_8262.JPG
just pick up this hope doing good
 
Good to know in regard to the International version.
 
Hi Jimmy

What I meant was that a "macro lens" is specifically designed to get a 1:1 ratio and to get very close to the subject (in this case the corals) with a very small number on the minimum focus distance. What I'm pretty much saying to you is,, you probably don't need a "Macro lens" for what you're looking to do. Nothing wrong with the macro lens, but you probably don't need to spend so much for the extra feature that you don't need, which is macro capabilities.

I'm not very familiar with third party brands such as Tamron or Tokina (I'm sure they're fine) but if you wanted to stick with the dedicated Nikon lenses, and for what you want to do and your budget, I would suggest the 50mm 1.8G which you can pick up brand new for under $200 (I think). If you were willing to spend a bit more, which is around the $400 area,, you can pick up the 50mm 1.4G which is a better made lens. Whatever you decide to go with, if you're looking to buy Nikon, just make sure you stick with the G or E type of lenses. Don't buy the "D" lenses,, they don't work well with the digital cameras and the AF won't work at all.

John

John is 100% correct. You do not need a Macro lens for what you're trying to accomplish. A good 50mm or a 24-105 will be absolutely perfect.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new