Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone just pick up a Nikon d5100
Come with len kit
Looking for a Marco lens for coral shot
Any one have good recommend? Thanks you

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 35mm is what I use and it does a great job. It's the only one I've used though. The crop factor on the 50mm may be too much.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy
You can save $200 or more if you buy the "international" version. Same exact lens just doesn't have a US warranty. Ebay has them for even less.

1344ba1081b997205b8efa415f7c17c2.jpg

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your budget? And do you really need a macro lens? How close are you actually getting to the coral?

John

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun shooting try staty under 500
Hi Jimmy

What I meant was that a "macro lens" is specifically designed to get a 1:1 ratio and to get very close to the subject (in this case the corals) with a very small number on the minimum focus distance. What I'm pretty much saying to you is,, you probably don't need a "Macro lens" for what you're looking to do. Nothing wrong with the macro lens, but you probably don't need to spend so much for the extra feature that you don't need, which is macro capabilities.

I'm not very familiar with third party brands such as Tamron or Tokina (I'm sure they're fine) but if you wanted to stick with the dedicated Nikon lenses, and for what you want to do and your budget, I would suggest the 50mm 1.8G which you can pick up brand new for under $200 (I think). If you were willing to spend a bit more, which is around the $400 area,, you can pick up the 50mm 1.4G which is a better made lens. Whatever you decide to go with, if you're looking to buy Nikon, just make sure you stick with the G or E type of lenses. Don't buy the "D" lenses,, they don't work well with the digital cameras and the AF won't work at all.

John

OP
OP
jimmyzhou

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jimmy

What I meant was that a "macro lens" is specifically designed to get a 1:1 ratio and to get very close to the subject (in this case the corals) with a very small number on the minimum focus distance. What I'm pretty much saying to you is,, you probably don't need a "Macro lens" for what you're looking to do. Nothing wrong with the macro lens, but you probably don't need to spend so much for the extra feature that you don't need, which is macro capabilities.

I'm not very familiar with third party brands such as Tamron or Tokina (I'm sure they're fine) but if you wanted to stick with the dedicated Nikon lenses, and for what you want to do and your budget, I would suggest the 50mm 1.8G which you can pick up brand new for under $200 (I think). If you were willing to spend a bit more, which is around the $400 area,, you can pick up the 50mm 1.4G which is a better made lens. Whatever you decide to go with, if you're looking to buy Nikon, just make sure you stick with the G or E type of lenses. Don't buy the "D" lenses,, they don't work well with the digital cameras and the AF won't work at all.

John

I will try use the d5100 lens kit they came with. For few month than I will thinking getting better lens if I keep shot corals or fish

Back