Nitrae/Phosphate Ratio - Super high Phosphate, and bottoming out Nitrate.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly did you measure po4 at 1.3? My Hannah just flashes at 200 which is .63. Mine is currently at .54 which is super high but I haven’t had any problems with my corals

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a deep breath and relax. Probably the worst thing you could do is panic and start changing a lot of stuff, especially with the amount of water volume you have. IMO, keep doing what you're doing and only add neonitro. Your phosphates are not super high, I would leave them. Go slow
I am frustrated, but really trying to tackle this with strategy and patience. I have not done anything to the tank besides water changes and removing Rods Food. I am about to do a big water change today, and wait for the NeoNitro. I could potentially use the PhosGuard as well as it comes in the mail today, or return it and wait for the NeoNitro.

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am frustrated, but really trying to tackle this with strategy and patience. I have not done anything to the tank besides water changes and removing Rods Food. I am about to do a big water change today, and wait for the NeoNitro. I could potentially use the PhosGuard as well as it comes in the mail today, or return it and wait for the NeoNitro.
What is wrong with the tank the way (numbers) it’s running currently?

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the big water change for?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with the tank the way (numbers) it’s running currently?
My nitrate is bottomed out, and my Phosphate is 1.3ppm

Which tester do you have? There’s a couple different po4 checkers.
The Hanna 713 checker which has a range of 0.00 to 2.50 ppm

whats the big water change for?
I was planning on getting a turkey baster and basting all the rocks to clean off detritus. I wanted to do the big water change after this.

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate is bottomed out, and my Phosphate is 1.3ppm

The Hanna 713 checker which has a range of 0.00 to 2.50 ppm

I was planning on getting a turkey baster and basting all the rocks to clean off detritus. I wanted to do the big water change after this.
nothing appears adversely effected at this point? I’d be searching for the reason this happened before doing anything. I see you changed feeding with no change. What water source are you using? Rodi? Do you make it? Do you know the tds?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone knows what chaeto primarily removes, or is it a near equal split of Nitrate/Po4

LIke all organisms, it uses a lot more N than P (more nitrate than phosphate).

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Nitrates have been going lower and lower, while my Phosphates just increase. I am not really sure what would be causing this. I would love to learn more about how Phosphates and Nitrates are inversely related.

Ive been feeding Rods Food + Mysis daily. I made a few other posts about this, and was recommended it could be the rods food, so now I am just switching mysis. Ive been testing every few days and here's been my results:

1.5 weeks ago - Nitrate .5ppm / Phosphate 1.2ppm

1 week ago - Nitrate . 3ppm / Phosphate 1.3ppm

Yesterday - Nitrate .0ppm / Phosphate 1.35ppm

I do a 50% water change every other week. I run no filtration except a bunch of chaeto in the back running for like 10 hours. I am scared to change the macro setting because if I lower lights, the Nitrate will just go down even more. I currently bought some PHOSGUARD in hopes to slowly lower Phosphates, and stabilizing nitrates.
It seems that you have a source of organic carbon in the system causing an imbalance on your nutrients.
you need to check your food chemical analysis and your Refugium (look for any algae going translucent) plus any other additives you may be adding as coral food.
Either way in the presence of an unknown source of organic carbon adding nitrates is often a good starting point to avoid coral coral starvation and other issues often connected to depleted nitrates (not depleted nutrients) it’s unfortunate that you already have decided on neonitro as it may not be as effective as sodium or calcium nitrate due to unknown ingredients, there is many that suspect that it may contain organic and inorganic forms of nitrogen that can be used by algae, coral and other photosynthetic organisms before they can become nitrates. if you were looking for something of the shelf I would have looked at ESV nitrate as at list it tells you the ingredients (calcium nitrate)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone knows what chaeto primarily removes, or is it a near equal split of Nitrate/Po4
If it’s thriving as many said it will remove more nitrates in comparison to phosphates if it’s melting (dying) it will remove more nitrates vs phosphates due to the carbohydrates being released into the water column that will work as a source of organic carbon reduction nitrates via carbon dosing the bacteria.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While some reefers do keep their phosphates high, the "high" they're referring to is usually at the range of 0.2-0.4 which indeed something you can live with, 1.35 on the other hand is a lot higher than what usually is acceptable and I wouldn't recommend staying at such high levels regardless of what others may say about chasing numbers, because it is not entirely the case here.

That being said, I wouldn't panic either.
You don't want to make drastic changes but instead to go slow, with a measured strategy to not shock the inhabitants in your tank.

As for a conservative strategy, since you'll get the GFO first I would put a very small, tiny amount of it and watch closely as PO4 start to go down. Once you receive your nitrate supplement I would switch to using it instead, that is until it is no longer effective.
I suggest not decreasing more than 0.1ppm per day, and I would let it settle for a couple of days between the next drop.

Another important thing to note here - everything that goes in the tank stays there unless you take it out.
Nutrients which are consumed by bacteria would either be eaten by larger organisms or be pulled out of the water column as organic matter by the skimmer or when you change the water.
Nutrients which are used by your chaeto will get physically pulled out as algae when it grows out.
Phosphates absorbed by a binder will get out when you remove or replace the media.
And so on and so forth.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to add nitrogen, each of which may have pros and cons.

Corals do use nitrate, as well as other Sources.

ATI Nutrient N seems to say it is nitrate. What do you think it is?

Product NameATI Nutrition N - 500mL Nitrate Supplement - ATI
Contains for the formation of biomass: ammonium, amino acids, hydrocarbons, nitrate, phosphorus and vitamins

apparently it’s a mix of several forms of nitrogen.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that you have a source of organic carbon in the system causing an imbalance on your nutrients.

Isn't a source of phosphate a likely explanation, not invoking some unusual carbon issue?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contains for the formation of biomass: ammonium, amino acids, hydrocarbons, nitrate, phosphorus and vitamins

apparently it’s a mix of several forms of nitrogen.

Thanks. It's likely a fine choice, but i do not know that it will give different results than nitrate dosing. :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't a source of phosphate a likely explanation, not invoking some unusual carbon issue?
It could be a mix of both, if you look at some of the Ingredients used in rods foods they are known to be fairly high in phosphates although many forms of carbohydrates could be contributing for the nitrates to be lowering at a faster rate than usual.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's likely a fine choice, but i do not know that it will give different results than nitrate dosing. :)
It’s a good choice for a stable tank to aid coral growth, I wouldn’t use it in this situation as I wouldn’t use neonitro for the same reason. It’s just not an effective way at raisin nitrates if that’s the end goal, many of those nitrogen compounds will be assimilated by many organisms before they get oxidised into nitrates by the beneficial bacteria.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Nitrates have been going lower and lower, while my Phosphates just increase. I am not really sure what would be causing this. I would love to learn more about how Phosphates and Nitrates are inversely related.

Ive been feeding Rods Food + Mysis daily. I made a few other posts about this, and was recommended it could be the rods food, so now I am just switching mysis. Ive been testing every few days and here's been my results:

1.5 weeks ago - Nitrate .5ppm / Phosphate 1.2ppm

1 week ago - Nitrate . 3ppm / Phosphate 1.3ppm

Yesterday - Nitrate .0ppm / Phosphate 1.35ppm

I do a 50% water change every other week. I run no filtration except a bunch of chaeto in the back running for like 10 hours. I am scared to change the macro setting because if I lower lights, the Nitrate will just go down even more. I currently bought some PHOSGUARD in hopes to slowly lower Phosphates, and stabilizing nitrates.
I would not even try coming up with an explanation for the chemistry in your system. Could be a waste of time like conspiracy theories.

If your phosphates are high, just remove them with a binder like GFO or whatever you feel comfortable with. You can use tiny amounts of GFO to slowly bring phosphate down. Trying to finesse your situation with nitrate dosing could just be frustrating and a waste of time. Get back to enjoying your aquarium.

Back