Nitrae/Phosphate Ratio - Super high Phosphate, and bottoming out Nitrate.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While some reefers do keep their phosphates high, the "high" they're referring to is usually at the range of 0.2-0.4 which indeed something you can live with, 1.35 on the other hand is a lot higher than what usually is acceptable and I wouldn't recommend staying at such high levels regardless of what others may say about chasing numbers, because it is not entirely the case here.

That being said, I wouldn't panic either.
You don't want to make drastic changes but instead to go slow, with a measured strategy to not shock the inhabitants in your tank.

As for a conservative strategy, since you'll get the GFO first I would put a very small, tiny amount of it and watch closely as PO4 start to go down. Once you receive your nitrate supplement I would switch to using it instead, that is until it is no longer effective.
I suggest not decreasing more than 0.1ppm per day, and I would let it settle for a couple of days between the next drop.

Another important thing to note here - everything that goes in the tank stays there unless you take it out.
Nutrients which are consumed by bacteria would either be eaten by larger organisms or be pulled out of the water column as organic matter by the skimmer or when you change the water.
Nutrients which are used by your chaeto will get physically pulled out as algae when it grows out.
Phosphates absorbed by a binder will get out when you remove or replace the media.
And so on and so forth.
This is a good reply - I appreciate it. Im guessing you would advise against NeoNitro than, seeing it may not exactly be removable (uknown liquid contents) while PHOSGUARD and Calcium Nitrate can be removed. I am just going to use the PHOSGUARD as a replacement for the GFO as I have it here and ready. I will go nice and slow! Probably go half of what the directions say for my gallon size. It should basically do the same thing and seeing its in a filter bag shouldn't really pose any consequence.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about it more and hearing out the responses here I am probably going to cancel the NeoNitro order, and sticking with PHOSGUARD and Calcium Nitrate as they are both entirely removable from the tank.

Any idea of a proper dosage amount for the Calcium Nitrate seeing I have a 13.5 gallon?

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good reply - I appreciate it. Im guessing you would advise against NeoNitro than, seeing it may not exactly be removable (uknown liquid contents) while PHOSGUARD and Calcium Nitrate can be removed. I am just going to use the PHOSGUARD as a replacement for the GFO as I have it here and ready. I will go nice and slow! Probably go half of what the directions say for my gallon size. It should basically do the same thing and seeing its in a filter bag shouldn't really pose any consequence.
NeoNitro could possibly do exactly what you are looking for, however without knowing the ingredients it is based on it'll be hard to tell.

PhosGurd is also often goes by the name GFO, however it is based on aluminum rather than Iron.
As stated earlier by Randy, it can leach aluminum to the water, some reefers like to rinse it before use - you may want to read more about it before usage.

Starting with half the recommended amount is always advisable, you may even want to go lower than that.

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about it more and hearing out the responses here I am probably going to cancel the NeoNitro order, and sticking with PHOSGUARD and Calcium Nitrate as they are both entirely removable from the tank.

Any idea of a proper dosage amount for the Calcium Nitrate seeing I have a 13.5 gallon?

You can use this calculator to mare your solution and dose accordin to your goals. Use the potassium nitrate choice.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it'll most likely a negligible difference, I don't think the molecular weights of calcium and potassium are the same.
I’m not a chemist but yes they are different. not enough for our purposes though. I started doing it after reading where Randy posted it’s fine.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10 grams in a 1000ml rodi water.
Then 50ml of solution to 100 gallons to raise 1ppm nitrate.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 grams in a 1000ml rodi water.
Then 50ml of solution to 100 gallons to raise 1ppm nitrate.
So for a 13.5 gallon:

1g in 100ml of RODI water
5 ML to 10 gallons to raise 1ppm

Seem right for the Calcium Nitrate equation? I will still make sure to check the calculator and see I am doing it right.
NeoNitro could possibly do exactly what you are looking for, however without knowing the ingredients it is based on it'll be hard to tell.

PhosGurd is also often goes by the name GFO, however it is based on aluminum rather than Iron.
As stated earlier by Randy, it can leach aluminum to the water, some reefers like to rinse it before use - you may want to read more about it before usage.

Starting with half the recommended amount is always advisable, you may even want to go lower than that.
I already have the PHOSGUARD here, and decided to return the NeoNitro. I added a very small amount of the PHOSGUARD after I ran it through a bunch of ro water. Will test tomorrow and see where I am at, and add accordingly until the Calcium Nitrate comes in.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neonitro is Purified water, proprietary nitrogen salts. If you'd like a read on nitrogen salts https://www.spectroscopyonline.com/view/organic-nitrogen-compounds-v-amine-salts.
I've used similiar products in closed looped hydroponic systems for years. In laments its non organic nitrogen in a bottle

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a 13.5 gallon:

1g in 100ml of RODI water
5 ML to 10 gallons to raise 1ppm

Seem right for the Calcium Nitrate equation? I will still make sure to check the calculator and see I am doing it right.

I already have the PHOSGUARD here, and decided to return the NeoNitro. I added a very small amount of the PHOSGUARD after I ran it through a bunch of ro water. Will test tomorrow and see where I am at, and add accordingly until the Calcium Nitrate comes in.
This is correct, yes.

Keep an eye on your phosphates as you start using PhosGurd and dosing nitrates to make sure you're doing it slow enough.

Also make sure to to test your nutrients at least 6 hours after feeding or dosing nitrate, preferably around the same time.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neonitro is Purified water, proprietary nitrogen salts. If you'd like a read on nitrogen salts https://www.spectroscopyonline.com/view/organic-nitrogen-compounds-v-amine-salts.
I've used similiar products in closed looped hydroponic systems for years. In laments its non organic nitrogen in a bottle
I'm not much of a chemist here. Is this totally safe for the aquarium? Has positive benefits? Ive heard a lot of suggestions to use this from experienced reefers.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct, yes.

Keep an eye on your phosphates as you start using PhosGurd and dosing nitrates to make sure you're doing it slow enough.

Also make sure to to test your nutrients at least 6 hours after feeding or dosing nitrate, preferably around the same time.
I will make sure to! Going to cut the recommended dose in half just to be safe and go really slow.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some rawaphos and be done.. no risks except stripping po4 to fast.. it’s all I use in my Sps tanks.
Just curious do you run that in a reactor? I know Abe from coral euphorioa also uses that product

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but that's essentially the equivalent of me saying the ingredients of Coke Cola are "Water, Sugar, proprietary black compound".
no, no its not. it's like saying its name brand tylenol or offbrand tylenol

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of and I appreciate the attempt. I have been virtually feeding the exact same thing for half a year now. If there is no nitrate in the tank now why is the Po4 not being consumed? Why does Nitrate need to be in the tank for the Phosphate to go down? Or better question, why is my tank consuming Nitrates super fast but not Phosphates?

Also, does anyone know what Chaeto typically consumes more of - Po4 or Nitrates? Or an equal mix?
In the fw planted tank world they are even more concerned with this. Your uptake of everything is "limited" by whatever is low. Phosphate can't be consumed until Nitrates are available for increased plant and (coral) growth. As someone mentioned, some carbon source may be lowering your Nitrates, or, increased tank growth has consumed more of it. I think you'll be fine whatever you do since you're going slowly.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the fw planted tank world they are even more concerned with this. Your uptake of everything is "limited" by whatever is low. Phosphate can't be consumed until Nitrates are available for increased plant and (coral) growth. As someone mentioned, some carbon source may be lowering your Nitrates, or, increased tank growth has consumed more of it. I think you'll be fine whatever you do since you're going slowly.
Thank you for clarifying! I also have a couple small planted tanks, so this is good I am learning about this now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back