Nitrate And Phosphate Reduction (Both Max Out Tests...)

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running about 350 gallons of water across multiple tanks in a single system. I checked nitrates (red sea kit) and phosphate (phosphorus hanna checker) and cross checked them at the LFS. Both of these parameters maxed out the tests... The only adverse effect I am seeing is Red Slime (Cyano) as well as very slow coral growth.

I believe the source of the problem is from excess feeding. While I am reducing feeding, I am looking for a one-time solution to bring these levels back to a normal level.

My System:
  • 1x Bio-XPORT Brick
  • 1x NO3-XPORT Brick
  • Bio "cubes" in refugium
  • Cheato (with flow to keep it tumbling) - Not growing
  • (No substrate in fuge)
  • Algae Scrubber (Not growing algae though...)
  • Skimmer
  • Filter Socks - Replaced 3 times per week
  • Shallow sand, cleaned (stirred) 2-4 times per month
  • Small UV filter (just in case) and Activated Carbon
  • RODI reads 0 TDS

What product would be best short term?
  • Dr. Tim's Waste Away
  • Microbacter7
  • Red Sea NO3: PO4-x

Long Term looking to reduce feeding amount, and add more bio-bricks. Other Ideas?

Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For po4 on a system that large I would go with lanthanum Chloride. It can be bought as a reef supplement or as a swimming pool additive. Both are the same product, only difference is price... But if you go with the pool phosphate remover confirm your getting the right stuff here on r2r before dosing away

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nitrates I'd go with carbon dosing (vodka maybe) and heavy skimming. Water changes won't hurt either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running about 350 gallons of water across multiple tanks in a single system. I checked nitrates (red sea kit) and phosphate (phosphorus hanna checker) and cross checked them at the LFS. Both of these parameters maxed out the tests... The only adverse effect I am seeing is Red Slime (Cyano) as well as very slow coral growth.

I believe the source of the problem is from excess feeding. While I am reducing feeding, I am looking for a one-time solution to bring these levels back to a normal level.

My System:
  • 1x Bio-XPORT Brick
  • 1x NO3-XPORT Brick
  • (No substrate in fuge)
  • Skimmer
  • RODI reads 0 TDS

• Dr. Tim's Waste Away
  • Microbacter7

Long Term looking to reduce feeding amount, and add more bio-bricks. Other Ideas?

Thanks!

I prefer vinegar to NOPOX, but vodka, vinegar, NOPOX (a mix of these and a few other organics) are all an OK way to reduce nitrate.

Mann_Cave_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka dosing worked for me a few years back in my 180g. Kept my nitrates in check. I also forgot the formula, I’m going to have to learn it again, As I’m thinking of using it again.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what skimmer you’re using . Buy I went through similar issues years ago .

carbon dosing especially with nopox can easily be over dosed
To run a large skimmer I believe is the trick to effectively export nutrients when dosing any carbon .

reeferZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a balance required for healthy tanks and your cheato and corals require both. pretty spooky if your maxxed out tho.
When my nutrients creep up, I use filter socks. You can play around with your skimmer consistency too - wet/dry. What are you lighting the fuge with? more light = more nutrient export.

Curious what your other levels are at? how old is the system?

Lizzievon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My System:
  • 1x Bio-XPORT Brick
  • 1x NO3-XPORT Brick
  • (No substrate in fuge)
  • Skimmer
  • RODI reads 0 TDS

• Dr. Tim's Waste Away
  • Microbacter7

Thanks!

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please advise, what’s the recommended target level of phosphates and nitrates for an SPS mixed reef tank?

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend a carbon source, also introduce some sludge eating bacteria, as well as cleaning the sump and any detritus you see.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please advise, what’s the recommended target level of phosphates and nitrates for an SPS mixed reef tank?

They can range a lot and still be oK. Some great SPS tanks have 1+ ppm phosphate and 100+ ppm nitrate.

But the typical recommendations these days are about 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate and 2-10 ppm nitrate.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My System:
  • 1x Bio-XPORT Brick
  • 1x NO3-XPORT Brick
  • (No substrate in fuge)
  • Skimmer
  • RODI reads 0 TDS

• Dr. Tim's Waste Away
  • Microbacter7

Thanks!
I am surprised that Chaeto is not growing and algae scrubber is not growing. Somethings up and it is not nitrate and phosphate. If you would get these growing again you might not gave to starve your aquarium guests :) Suggest this is the first step before starting to chuck things into the water to grow bacteria.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know why more people don’t use this method for reducing phosphates...simple, easy, no side effect...etc. vid from melev

...this and NoPox...constant 2.5 N and around 0.02 P...ez pz...

Do NOT use pool chemicals as someone suggested...why risk that when this is diluted and already tested for you ?

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the help! I have been ramping up vodka dosing and it seems to be helping. I decided to spend more time looking for the source if the problem and found that the water I had connected to my auto water change had nitrates around 20-30 ppm!

I did a little more research, testing the RO water and it was perfect 0. Then freshly mixed (2 or 3 hours) salt water, and it was < 1 ppm nitrate. 2 days later, I tested and it was at about 10-15 ppm.

Thus tells me the water and salt were both good, but the plastic bucket is NOT reef safe. (Who knows what else has been leeching out).

So I got new, food grade, mixing buckets, and I'm doing double the water change amount while bringing the levels down. So far, after a few days, the new buckets only had 1 or 2 ppm of nitrate. So I'm feeling more confident, but keeping an eye on that!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back