Nitrate and Phosphorus Control via Phytoplankton Additions?

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did, you'd almost certainly end up with whatever happens to be dominant. IMO, the best thing is to get a mono starter culture of nanno.
I'm new to culturing, so I'm asking questions to better understand.
There are websites that sells multi-cultures to culture. If that is the case how can they sell them?
Also, what about the phytoplankton you buy to add to the tank without the dominate consuming the other species?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are websites that sells multi-cultures to culture. If that is the case how can they sell them?
They sell them to add to the tank not culture typically. You buy single species to culture them.
Also, what about the phytoplankton you buy to add to the tank without the dominate consuming the other species?
The dominant doesn’t consume the others. It simply outgrows them. If you have one fast and one slow growing mixed and try culturing it, the fast growing outgrows the other consuming all nutrients. Then when you split it to grow more it’s now mostly one and not the other and it outgrows again, etc.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tvan, that’s why we dose it. To maintain the phyto. Or it gets eaten by pods and corals.

@NDIrish I bought my phyto from Mercer of Montana on Amazon. The kit comes with Nanno species and F/2 Fertilizer

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dumb question time. Why not just maintain phytoplankton in the main water column of your system?
That is what dosing does. It isn't really possible to culture it within the tank. So we set up separate culture vessels, grow it there, then dose it to the tank, where much of what is alive in the tank consumes it.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell them to add to the tank not culture typically. You buy single species to culture them.

The dominant doesn’t consume the others. It simply outgrows them. If you have one fast and one slow growing mixed and try culturing it, the fast growing outgrows the other consuming all nutrients. Then when you split it to grow more it’s now mostly one and not the other and it outgrows again, etc.
Thanks for the explanation. That is what I need to know. Still learning.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tvan, that’s why we dose it. To maintain the phyto. Or it gets eaten by pods and corals.

@NDIrish I bought my phyto from Mercer of Montana on Amazon. The kit comes with Nanno species and F/2 Fertilizer
Appreciate the info. I already have my F/2. Bought when I bought the Phyco Pure, I thought I could culture it. I need to buy the phyto though.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle did you ever complete the testing? Any data to share?
No, unfortunately not. I've been MIA here on R2R for a while. Started back in late October. Tropical Storm Zeta dropped two giant trees on the house. Mom passed away in February and I've been dealing with that. On the bright side, the reef, after suffering from storm related power outage for 3 days is coming around, and I'm almost ready to get serious about reefing again. Looking forward to it - the Hach digester for total phpshorus and nitrogen is just sitting there...

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, unfortunately not. I've been MIA here on R2R for a while. Started back in late October. Tropical Storm Zeta dropped two giant trees on the house. Mom passed away in February and I've been dealing with that. On the bright side, the reef, after suffering from storm related power outage for 3 days is coming around, and I'm almost ready to get serious about reefing again. Looking forward to it - the Hach digester for total phpshorus and nitrogen is just sitting there...
Sorry to hear of your troubles and loss. I’ve found my reef to be a source of comfort and peace in similar times. That being said, when it is off kilter... it can double the troubles. But you’ve given much to our enjoyment and successes as hobbyists, we wish you well.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay strong @Dana Riddle. Please keep us updated. I just restarted my phyto cultures a couple weeks back. After stopping I feel the tanks aren't progressing as quickly as when I was culturing and feeding the tanks. The is a wealth of info in this thread.
Are there others that can contribute and post updates on their successes and/or failures?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyco Pure from Algagen?
I cultured up phycopure copepod blend several times (it's a mix of T-Iso and Chaetoceros gracilis - a diatom). These are both great foods for parvocalanus copepods.
Each time I got a majority of the T-Iso, and after a few culture-ups - it became only T-Iso. Since that's the more desirable phyto I was always fine with that result.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following ....

Only makes sense . But in a closed system .
Is there more nutrients to export ?

I have a lot more reading to do ..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back