Nitrate Dosing with Triton?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone resorted to nitrate dosing to keep your nitrates up with Triton?

My nitrate tests always read 0-.25 on red sea and I just sent in an ATI test to confirm. My ATI reading was .01 mg/l! Yikes.

Currently have about 20 fish + a small eel in my 165g. Feeding 3x per day about 4 total cubes frozen and a few pellets. I'd consider that a pretty good stock level that should register some nitrates but I see nothing. My sps is doing fine but color could be a little better so I'd like to get nitrates to about 2ppm to see if that helps.

I'm running a skimmer rated for 100-210g so not over sized and my fuge is only about 5-6% of DT.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In searching for a Nitrate supplement I came across this review on BRS for NeoNitro. My problem exactly - I recently had a pretty big outbreak of what I hope is cyano (but maybe dinos) all over my rocks. 3 day lights out got it under control but my guess as to the root cause is nitrates hitting zero. I'm going to start dosing NeoNitro and see if that helps.

upload_2018-8-6_11-38-23.png

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mark Gray are you sure that's the correct link lol

@CMO we have 25 anthias and maybe 10 other fish in 600 gals barebottom, and get zero no3

so we dose nitrates with this potassium nitrate from amazon, everyday, for the past 2 months. and use reef energy a and b, at 5% to 10% recommended strength.

since this is our first tank, the 1st 6 months we spent trying to unravel the mysteries of our triton tank - we've finally figured out that with such low to non-existent no3 and po4 levels, our sps needed an alk in the 7s, not the 8 to 12 range usually suggested. we had a omg idiot @$#*&/$@#×$@&€£& moment when we saw red seas' ulns recipe about a month ago. too bad it took us (well, mainly me) quite a few starved out n white acro frags to figure it out. we completely ignored the red sea advice when we started, since we were under the 'triton method' (totally falling for the decaying macro algae supplying all nutrients crapola).

our conculsion is that for ulns, doesnt matter if it's red sea products or triton products or whomever's products - you gotta have enuff nurients in the form of no3 and some po4, and that dissolving algae don't cut it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS6CGJZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jzw. Thanks for sharing some good info there. Do you find that you need to dose daily or can you get away dosing nitrates weekly or less than daily to keep it up?

If I'm going to be dosing nitrates regularly I'd like something I can use with a doser that doesn't need shaken like NeoNitro. Do you have to stir the potassium nitrate you use prior to dosing?

As for the RS Reef Energy supplements, do you know whether any of what in this might already be included with core 7?

Thanks!

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMO so far, it's by hand everyday. test your tank, maybe you won't have to. as for me, i need to put it on a doser still.

my current jug of diy no3 stays clear, so i assume no shaking is needed.

as for RS already being included, and what's in core7, i have no idea. i've asked tim@triton and this board specifically on this sub-forum and nobody knows, and triton won't disclose - which is friggin retarded. run a search and you'll find the discussion.

i'm in the LA area if you wanna check out my system.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMO so far, it's by hand everyday. test your tank, maybe you won't have to. as for me, i need to put it on a doser still.

my current jug of diy no3 stays clear, so i assume no shaking is needed.

as for RS already being included, and what's in core7, i have no idea. i've asked tim@triton and this board specifically on this sub-forum and nobody knows, and triton won't disclose - which is friggin retarded. run a search and you'll find the discussion.

i'm in the LA area if you wanna check out my system.

Found the thread but Tim responded saying that aminos are not included in core 7 which answers my question at least.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triton-core7-contains-aminos-and-other-good-stuff.365793/

Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back