Nitrate issue

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in my tank a 55g established tank of about 8 years. While testing I found that my nitrates are exceeding the maximum of my test kit of 200ppm while all other parameters are pretty normal. Not too long ago my dkh was down to around 2 and I slowly brought it back up to it's normal range. The tank doesn't seem to have any negative effects and the live stock looks healthy. Should I be concerned? In the past 3 weeks I've done water changes to try and lower it but it doesn't change much. The test is new and not expired. In total over done probably a 25g water change. The tank does have a sump of about 7 gallons of water volume been in about a month. I regularly use and replace carbon. Skimmer is working properly, and I supplement the bio filter with additive monthly.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start with what test kit you are using. I have seen tanks with the same thing like way off the charts colors however their fish are fine. How large of a water change are you doing and how many did you do?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something tells me your dkh swing would show some damage.
Why do you put bio additives?
Would mix up 1/4 of sandbed a week, and test water at lfs

OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kit is an API. Did 3 water changes of about 8 gallons each about 3 or 4 days apart. Before the issue they were done around once a month but only 4 to 8 gallons. Haven't done large ones because the water test levels were all good, and I dose Trace elements monthly and supplement calcium and alkalinity in a two part as needed. Could it be as simple as needing more frequent water changes? I've never had issues with nitrates in the tank being this high before except when I had mass clean up crew death a few years ago

OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something tells me your dkh swing would show some damage.
Why do you put bio additives?
Would mix up 1/4 of sandbed a week, and test water at lfs
I do them simply because of the directions on the seachem bottle said to dose monthly and I noticed if I don't I get build up on the sand that I don't if I dose regularly

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From where I’m sitting your nitrates didn’t go up that fast unless something big died in your tank, nor your dkh go that low or you’d see damage

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do them simply because of the directions on the seachem bottle said to dose monthly and I noticed if I don't I get build up on the sand that I don't if I dose regularly
Interesting. I didn’t mention mixing sand because you put bio addictive. Only because nitrogen pockets can build up in sand, especially deep sand. To avoid that from being bad have sand sifters or do it yourself. A lil at a time.

OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From where I’m sitting your nitrates didn’t go up that fast unless something big died in your tank, nor your dkh go that low or you’d see damage
My only other thought is the test kits I just got the day I noticed the issue. The prior kits were close to their expiration date and the nitrate wouldn't change colors as it did prior so ordered new ones. Thinking maybe the levels have been off longer than I've known and the kits weren't accurate due to be close to their expiration.

OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this I discovered 2 days ago. This damage is only on one side and the side facing the rear of the tank where I cannot easily see. I relocated it and seen this. So I'm thinking your right that it just didn't happen and it's been longer than I knew because of my test kits not being accurate.

IMG_20200119_190740800.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except if your dkh was that low you’d see more damage. Have seen nitrates way high and as long as they stay constant not horrible. But dkh...
What’s tour dkh now?

Back