Nitrate level reduction

hammadkatiyar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish with only live rock tank..........can youpls advise how to reduce nitrate level immediately ..currently the nitrate level is 90 ppm...pls help.

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do 1/2 water change will temporary reduce alot of nitrate, add denitrify media, sponge or even the reactor will help.

Try not to use the tap water for your tank.

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to do huge changes to your fish tank. Whether its reducing nitrate or ammonia, the slow and steady route is always the best IMO.

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish with only live rock tank..........can youpls advise how to reduce nitrate level immediately ..currently the nitrate level is 90 ppm...pls help.

90 ppm shouldnt kill your fish but may be a little stress full. do a series of 10% water changes every 3 or 4 days that will bring it down. also seachem makes a product called denitrator it looks like small pebbles, i have used it in the past and it will work. also its not very expensive.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish with only live rock tank..........can you pls advise how to reduce nitrate level immediately ..currently the nitrate level is 90 ppm...pls help.

first of all 90ppm for a fish tank is not all that bad.

Secondly, in a newly setup up tank with lotsa algae even corraline on live rock an initial nitrate spike is very very common as the algae consumes ammonia directly for nitrogen instead of nitrates. Then as aerobic bacteria build up, the algae has less and less ammonia to consume to starts consuming nitrate. So after a few weeks nitrates drop down. If this is the case basically you should do nothing.

Finally, if you do not have algae you could add macro algaes (in a refugium) which will not only help lower nitrates but prevent dangerous spikes by consuming any "left over" ammonia directly.

What I do is always start a tank with macro algaes. But that's just me and my.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hammadkatiyar

hammadkatiyar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all 90ppm for a fish tank is not all that bad.

Secondly, in a newly setup up tank with lotsa algae even corraline on live rock an initial nitrate spike is very very common as the algae consumes ammonia directly for nitrogen instead of nitrates. Then as aerobic bacteria build up, the algae has less and less ammonia to consume to starts consuming nitrate. So after a few weeks nitrates drop down. If this is the case basically you should do nothing.

Finally, if you do not have algae you could add macro algaes (in a refugium) which will not only help lower nitrates but prevent dangerous spikes by consuming any "left over" ammonia directly.

What I do is always start a tank with macro algaes. But that's just me and my.

thanks for the advise....well i have installed now NP reactor with bio pellets in my sump..............will be settled after 2 weeks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back