Nitrate not increasing

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and so is my nitrate. My nitrate has not been above 0 since I've had my tank cycling. It's been cycling for 4 months now. My corals were doing great and now it seems like they aren't. Probably cause they came from a good tank in the lfs and now they are in a tank with no nitrate. I need some help and nothing seems to be doing fine anymore.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals? What kind of lighting did your LFS use and what are you using? You can always add nitrate by feeding more.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No feeding more won’t spike ammonia as long as you have a well established biological colony which you should if the tanknis four months old. What kind of bio media are you using and how much? What lighting are you using Jessie’s are top notch leds so anything less you could be depriving the corals of light.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No feeding more won’t spike ammonia as long as you have a well established biological colony which you should if the tanknis four months old. What kind of bio media are you using and how much? What lighting are you using Jessie’s are top notch leds so anything less you could be depriving the corals of light.
I'm using a marienland advanced led strip light. I'm not sure how to tell what bio media I'm using.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting could be an issue as to why the corals are not doing good they could need more light.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? You get get a higher end led fixture for under $300

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start adding fish and those fish start eating, your nitrates will go up. All of your parameter are going to bounce around for the first year until your system settles in. Once you nitrates kick in, be ready to get a cleaning crew to clean the rocks, etc:)

Your corals are starving most likely from the lack of nutrients. I would suggest feeding the corals natural products like reef nutrition oyster feast and roti feast before dropping some coin on lights.

Once other thing I would stress make a change wait two weeks, make another change wait another two weeks. Patients in a key to reefing.

What are your parameters besides ammonia and nitrates
Ca?
Mg?
Alk?
Phosphates
These are also very important to coral growth:)

Last edited:

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With inadequate lighting and lack of nutrients in the water column the corals need more food.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok to just drop any food in the tank. As it decomposes it will feed the corals.

When it's fed to fish it's broken down quicker.

Weather it is food or light is a tough call. It can take a practiced eye, your welcome to post pictures for sure.

I have seen that light used very successfully.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me tank sit. I'll have your nitrates high in no time!
Minion laughing with pop corn.gif

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start adding fish and those fish start eating, your nitrates will go up. All of your parameter are going to bounce around for the first year until your system settles in. Once you nitrates kick in, be ready to get a cleaning crew to clean the rocks, etc:)

Your corals are starving most likely from the lack of nutrients. I would suggest feeding the corals natural products like reef nutrition oyster feast and roti feast before dropping some coin on lights.

Once other thing I would stress make a change wait two weeks, make another change wait another two weeks. Patients in a key to reefing.

What are your parameters besides ammonia and nitrates
Ca?
Mg?
Alk?
Phosphates
These are also very important to coral growth:)
I have been feeding baby shrimp to my tank for my corals. Usually I turn the power head off so the torch can eat but maybe I should just drop a little in the tank and hope it gets some cause my fish don't eat the shrimp, only likes pellets.

For right now I can't check the other levels. I don't have the right tools for me to check.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding baby shrimp to my tank for my corals. Usually I turn the power head off so the torch can eat but maybe I should just drop a little in the tank and hope it gets some cause my fish don't eat the shrimp, only likes pellets.

For right now I can't check the other levels. I don't have the right tools for me to check.

What you need is a puree of the shrimp to feed the corals. The solid food is good for the fish and invert but the corals. The corals need a fine food.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you need is a puree of the shrimp to feed the corals. The solid food is good for the fish and invert but the corals. The corals need a fine food.
Where would I get something that's a puree? And how much of that do you use? Just like a turkey bastor and put it on the corals?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would I get something that's a puree? And how much of that do you use? Just like a turkey bastor and put it on the corals?

The reef nutrition product I mentioned earlier. I would just get the oyster feast and some vitamin c and mix a little together and feed. :)

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil makes good Nano lights aqua illumination prime hd is what I’m using and it’s $200 but will grow any coral you want.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef nutrition product I mentioned earlier. I would just get the oyster feast and some vitamin c and mix a little together and feed. :)
I will definitely get that and maybe look into a new light.

Back