Nitrate Poisoning

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I push the limits to the extreme in my one of my 200 gallon fish only tanks with around 25-30 large 8-12 inch fish. I have so much biological filtration (fluidized sand bed filter) that I never have any ammonia or nitrite spikes. I have extremely healthy and vibrant fish (listed in my signature) but I have mysterious deaths of large angelfish and tangs sometimes that are so surprising. The fish are disease free, eat extremely well and are fat as can be, swimming and behavior is optimal...but out of no where they die. I have very high nitrates 80-150ppm and was wondering if this causes some fish to die somehow. I lost a beautiful Annularis Angelfish that was doing so well for 2 years and suddenly died with no signs of problems. Have never lost any triggers, puffers, rabbit fish, or anything other than tangs and angels. What do you guys think?

1) 2 weeks no water changes - 150-200ppm
2) Weekly water change 30% - 60-75ppm right after a change
2) Weekly water changes at 2-30% changes two days apart - 30-40ppm

What should I do, I know I am not going to stock lightly or get rid of my babies but I want to not loose my precious angels.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot affirm that the fish deaths are related to the nitrate levels, but would consider adding a sulfur denitrifying filter if I believe that was the cause.

Any other options or discussion from folks with high nitrate levels in fish tanks with tangs and/ or angelfishes?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my fowlr days I had nitrates in excess of 100. While high, it would have to be many more time that to be fatal.

my 210g had a porc puffer, saddle back butterfly, black back butterfly, lunare wrasse. Blonde naso tank, 3ft sharptail eel, coral cat shark. Had them for many years before breaking down and as is the norm for a predator tank, high nitrates.

only one pic from wayy back then.
EE861BF8-E614-4DA2-9CD0-0755A0046DFC.jpeg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not think nitrates are the cause. If it is a 6' 200, 25-30 large 8-12 inch fish may be your problem. Aggression and stress may be getting the best of weaker specimens.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I push the limits to the extreme in my one of my 200 gallon fish only tanks with around 25-30 large 8-12 inch fish. I have so much biological filtration (fluidized sand bed filter) that I never have any ammonia or nitrite spikes. I have extremely healthy and vibrant fish (listed in my signature) but I have mysterious deaths of large angelfish and tangs sometimes that are so surprising. The fish are disease free, eat extremely well and are fat as can be, swimming and behavior is optimal...but out of no where they die. I have very high nitrates 80-150ppm and was wondering if this causes some fish to die somehow. I lost a beautiful Annularis Angelfish that was doing so well for 2 years and suddenly died with no signs of problems. Have never lost any triggers, puffers, rabbit fish, or anything other than tangs and angels. What do you guys think?

What should I do, I know I am not going to stock lightly or get rid of my babies but I want to not loose my precious angels.
I would not think nitrates are the cause. If it is a 6' 200, 25-30 large 8-12 inch fish may be your problem. Aggression and stress may be getting the best of weaker specimens.

+1 vote stress from overstock

I'm equating this 25-30 large 8-12 inch fish to being in constant California freeway traffic (is it Los Angeles that everyone talks about... or NYC - take your pick) Some can even drive taxi cabs in that traffic, while others develop PTSD

see that you aren't going to stock lightly or rehome, so don't replace any that can't take the stress - Darwin's survival of fittest may work for you

I look at my 180g with plans for TWO 12 inch fish (not 25-30) ... hoping you've got almost no decorations in your FOWLR tank else fish traffic jams! LOL

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot affirm that the fish deaths are related to the nitrate levels, but would consider adding a sulfur denitrifying filter if I believe that was the cause.

Any other options or discussion from folks with high nitrate levels in fish tanks with tangs and/ or angelfishes?
HI @KrisReef thanks for the input. I bought a Aquamaxx Sulfur Denitrifier from the Marine Depot sale. I look forward to seeing what this thing can do. Will keep you guys updated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

First thing - is your test kit reading "nitrate" or "nitrate-nitrogen"? I presume the former, but there is a factor of 4.2x between those two, so you need to know. The test kit should tell you.
Presuming that your kit is reading nitrate - those values are high, but I have fish in a system that consistently runs 175 ppm nitrate and there are no mortality issues (180,000 gallons with many angelfish).

It looks to me that your water change schedule ought to follow #2.

Jay

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 vote stress from overstock

I'm equating this 25-30 large 8-12 inch fish to being in constant California freeway traffic (is it Los Angeles that everyone talks about... or NYC - take your pick) Some can even drive taxi cabs in that traffic, while others develop PTSD

see that you aren't going to stock lightly or rehome, so don't replace any that can't take the stress - Darwin's survival of fittest may work for you

I look at my 180g with plans for TWO 12 inch fish (not 25-30) ... hoping you've got almost no decorations in your FOWLR tank else fish traffic jams! LOL
Yeah I guess you guys are right, it's just that there is no fighting between them and all are so spectacularly health. Time to upgrade, I need a 500 gallon. Let's see how soon I can make it happen

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing - is your test kit reading "nitrate" or "nitrate-nitrogen"? I presume the former, but there is a factor of 4.2x between those two, so you need to know. The test kit should tell you.
Presuming that your kit is reading nitrate - those values are high, but I have fish in a system that consistently runs 175 ppm nitrate and there are no mortality issues (180,000 gallons with many angelfish).

It looks to me that your water change schedule ought to follow #2.

Jay
Thanks @Jay Hemdal , yeah it reads Nitrate. I never thought about Nitrate but now that I get mysterious deaths I am wondering what is going on. It stings to loose a fish that you've had for so long and just is doing spectacular.

I never knew you had a fish only system! Jay how big is your Angelfish tank, a 180 gallon right? Do you have any pictures up of it. Also I am curious, how old is your oldest Angelfish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal , yeah it reads Nitrate. I never thought about Nitrate but now that I get mysterious deaths I am wondering what is going on. It stings to loose a fish that you've had for so long and just is doing spectacular.

I never knew you had a fish only system! Jay how big is your Angelfish tank, a 180 gallon right? Do you have any pictures up of it. Also I am curious, how old is your oldest Angelfish?
I was sort of joking - I'm a public aquarium curator and our largest system is 180,000 gallons. In one 90,000 gallon tank on that system we have a number of angels; a pair of emperors, a trio of bluerings, a navarchus and a few others that I'm forgetting about at the moment. Our fish have only been under our care for 6 years, since the system was established.

Jay

Back