OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos for nitrate. Not sure if it is “top of the line” because of the scale that it uses, but it’s easy to read and I get consistent results.

I use Hanna’s phosphate ULR checker for phosphate. People complain about the timer, but I’ve never had a single issue.

Understanding that all chemical tests are hobby-grade, the checker is using a sensor that is Also hobby-grade. However, I trust a sensor from test to test more than I trust my eye to discern color from test to test, therefore when Hanna’s nitrate checker becomes available, I’ll be buying that too.

Just my $0.02.
You got everyone on your side!

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna Phosphate ULR checker is ppm, not ppb.

20200801_213422.jpg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the salifert NO3 test kit personally, but that’s probably the unpopular opinion. I’ve used it since the late 80’s so it’s a no brainer for me. I also like the ULR Hanna PO4 tester (ppm).

Colorblind folks really struggle with testing so if you’re one of those folks you’ll need to ask others who are in that situation for more appropriate advice.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the Nyos kit -I don't think it's any easier to read than any of the other kits. Vial gets yellower
as nitrates get higher. Chart gets more orange

I know when my nitrates are worse, but no idea what they actually are.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos for nitrate. Not sure if it is “top of the line” because of the scale that it uses, but it’s easy to read and I get consistent results.

I use Hanna’s phosphate ULR checker for phosphate. People complain about the timer, but I’ve never had a single issue.

Understanding that all chemical tests are hobby-grade, the checker is using a sensor that is Also hobby-grade. However, I trust a sensor from test to test more than I trust my eye to discern color from test to test, therefore when Hanna’s nitrate checker becomes available, I’ll be buying that too.

Just my $0.02.
I did just buy the Hanna ULR phosphate checker and agree on the nitrate checker. I do not like comparing colors either.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just buy the Hanna ULR phosphate checker and agree on the nitrate checker. I do not like comparing colors either.
The ULR phosphate checker requires a 2min mix, then a 3min wait, with the timer being built-in the device for the latter. I think you’ll like it. I had (still have) the RedSea, and my results were always quite low, but it was very hard for me to know exactly what I was looking at. Just ran a battery of tests today and po4 was 0.06. I’m sure RS would have produced the same, it’s just that I wouldn’t have been able to tell that exactly.

Taking a page out of the book from the guys at BRS, exact isn’t as important as range and consistency, and that’s what I get with the Hanna.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Hannah Phosphate checker today and yeah.... apparently I can’t read those color change tests at all! My Phosphates are .36! (Overfeeding)

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Salifert nitrate and phosphate test kits a lot. In 'high resolution' mode (double the reagents, double the water sample, halve the reading) the phosphate kit is extremely easy to read, even at low concentrations, and it is quick. I can test nitrate and phosphate both in about 4 minutes flat, I can get repeatable results, and they both read quite close to standards. I dislike the Hanna checkers. Especially all the ones with dry reagent pouches. Sold all of mine off years ago and will not buy one again.

Back