Nitrates are BAD...no no no they are GOOD!! Wait, What?!?!

Are nitrates in a reef tank a bad thing or a good thing? (see the thread)

• Yes good depending on the levels

Votes: 797 87.6%
  • No they are bad

Votes: 32 3.5%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 81 8.9%

• Total voters

AngelFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, long story short. I agree on nitrates/phosphates real important. For some reason I'm unable to raise these in my 55 gal tank. Where at 20-40ppm at one time. Added refug and ton of other things. Reduced to 0. Everything died. I removed everything except refug. Still 0 nitrates. Should I remove refug. What is eating all my nitrates? Could it be the rock and algae on rock? I'll attach photo. I'll be moving to new 90 tank. Need action plan here would really like to establish reef tank. Have 3 good size tangs and one clown. All other numbers per recommendation , my issue is 0 nitrates and phosphates I'm convinced. Thanks for ideas.

55galtankaug2019.jpg
Finally I raised Nitrates to 10ppm. I had taken off Protein skimmer for two weeks and removed the handfull of macroalgae in past week then nitrates finally raised to 10ppm. I have small refugium. Now I will try to balance Nitrates with protein skimmer and by adding and subtracting macroalgae growth. One other issue is cyano algae. I'm about to move this tank to 90gal. I'll scrup off rock when I do this. Was going to use Hydrogen Peroxide to help in removal of algae. Other ideas? Will also add Chemiclean to help with cyano algae.

fredk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I raised Nitrates to 10ppm. I had taken off Protein skimmer for two weeks and removed the handfull of macroalgae in past week then nitrates finally raised to 10ppm. I have small refugium. Now I will try to balance Nitrates with protein skimmer and by adding and subtracting macroalgae growth. One other issue is cyano algae. I'm about to move this tank to 90gal. I'll scrup off rock when I do this. Was going to use Hydrogen Peroxide to help in removal of algae. Other ideas? Will also add Chemiclean to help with cyano algae.
I would not do that. It won't completely get rid of nuisance algae or cyano, but it will cause a larger cycle during the tank move.

Hydrogen peroxide will react with anything organic including beneficial bacteria and other organisms on or near the surface of the rock. You will be creating a blank slate for re-colonization and it will be the fastest growing organisms, like cyano and other nuisance algae that will come back first.

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one observation I can add is that GFO/Carbon Dosing/ ChemiPure *, and other nutrient reducing strategies used without knowledge in pursuit of near 0 has caused an increase in Dinoflagellates out breaks. I was one who learnt the hard way that 0 or I think in my case, less than 0 is bad, which brought me Dinos which I thought was a Diatom bloom, bring on more carbon and GFO. I am not down on the products, but I think the instructions should be half the dosage. I am still learning how to find my balance for the micro fauna, corals and fish.

Right now as long as my SPS have polyp extension and are not receding, I am content to see them grow. Next will be to see them color up better than now. Trying to run the tank around NO3 - 5-10ppm and PO4 0.06-0.1.

Vacations kill me as I have yet to dial in the auto feeder. It's either all or nothing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back