Nitrates around 1

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is reading Nitrates around 1 and Phosphates 0.04. The tank looks fine corals healthy and colourful, cheato is growing in refugium nicely, (hair algae in there too :( )

Should I take it as a false negative ie the cheato is using all the nitrates or would I need to increase it slightly. It used to be around 5-10.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is reading Nitrates around 1 and Phosphates 0.04. The tank looks fine corals healthy and colourful, cheato is growing in refugium nicely, (hair algae in there too :( )

Should I take it as a false negative ie the cheato is using all the nitrates or would I need to increase it slightly. It used to be around 5-10.
I've run an algae scrubber at zero nitrate & po4. The macro still grew fine because the fish always keep the nutrients a trace levels. Just reduce the photo period for your chaeto & it will synthesise less nutrients over a given time.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since your tank looks good and everything is growing, I wouldn't worry about the numbers and leave it as is :)

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are perfect NO3 & PO4 levels! Its better the hair algae is growing in the refugium than the DT. Besides it'll also use NO3 to grow & u can harvest them when they get too big to export nutrients & just let them keep growing in the refugium if doesn't bother u.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back