Nitrates/Hazy water

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefDad89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefDad89

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advise

I’ve had a full mixed reef up and running for years and recently experienced low nitrates <5ppm. (Tank usually ran around 10ppm) my LFS suggested increased feeding to help boost overall load on the tank. The staff sold my wife a frozen food with beneficial bacteria in it, which caused the nitrates to plummet further to 0. I cut out that food and since turned off the skimmer and removed chemipure. After a week of feeding 2 times a day nitrates were still at <1. I started dosing NeoNitro. My question is without filtration my water is looking hazy. Any advice?
 
Need some advise

I’ve had a full mixed reef up and running for years and recently experienced low nitrates <5ppm. (Tank usually ran around 10ppm) my LFS suggested increased feeding to help boost overall load on the tank. The staff sold my wife a frozen food with beneficial bacteria in it, which caused the nitrates to plummet further to 0. I cut out that food and since turned off the skimmer and removed chemipure. After a week of feeding 2 times a day nitrates were still at <1. I started dosing NeoNitro. My question is without filtration my water is looking hazy. Any advice?
Turn the filtration back on. After years of operation, it is not likely the problem.
 
Turn the filtration back on. After years of operation, it is not likely the problem.
That was my thoughts too. I’ve never had a tank be “too clean”
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new