Nitrates high ! Tests between api and Nyos

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my new test kit today and I decided to test nitrates with my api first. Api shows zero. I then tested with the nyos and it showed a reading of 25-35ppm. That’s when I panicked. I tested it 3 times and it came out the same. So which one is the most accurate. The range between the two are pretty extreme. Thoughts?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my new test kit today and I decided to test nitrates with my api first. Api shows zero. I then tested with the nyos and it showed a reading of 25-35ppm. That’s when I panicked. I tested it 3 times and it came out the same. So which one is the most accurate. The range between the two are pretty extreme. Thoughts?
I'd trust nyos. The API you have to shake the c rap out of reagent 2 for a full minute or it will test low.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it! I used salifert during my cycle. I was getting 20-25ppm constantly for weeks. I would take a sample to my lfs which had API. API showed 0 consistently.

After 2 months my salifert shows 5.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don't panic! Do a water change and start working to bring it down. If it make you feel better, my lfs shoots for 20 on his SPS tank and it's beautiful

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For hobbyist level nitrate testing I'd personally go with Red Sea, Nyos, or Giesemann, in that order.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between hobbyist level nitrate testing and non hobbyist level testing,,, I am guessing that means vendors,,, how are they, non hobbyist,, testing differently than the rest of us?

I have been fighting a Nitrate battle in my tank,,, started in 100 range with my Salifert test kit :( I have it down to the low end of the 25 range,,, just a tad more and I will be in the 10 range,, did a couple of large water changes,, a couple smaller water changes as the number got lower,, have been dosing 10 ml of vinegar per day,,, used a sand vacuum , ran the hose into a filter sock and cleaned the sand bed, really good,, in the tank except under my rock,,, running my skimmer wet,, feeding my fish a lot less,, any less and the fish won't be eating ,, like I said,, got the number down to the low 25 range and that number is staying there,,, for several weeks,,, cant crack into the 10 range,,, now I am wondering how good that number really is that I am getting from my Salifert test kit,, never thought about getting another test kit and trying that,,,

Last edited:

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between hobbyist level nitrate testing and non hobbyist level testing,,, I am guessing that means vendors,,, how are they, non hobbyist,, testing differently than the rest of us?

Non hobbyist as in just about dead accurate. Triton test quality each time, but most people aren’t making enough extra cash to be able to afford equipment that high of quality. I don’t think it is THAT important to test nitrates, and I personally don’t even test anything except alk and once a month calcium. I just judge based off of my acros color and if they start to look weird I will test other params:)

OP
OP
B

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well that makes me feel slightly better. I just tested ammonia on my api and it reads between .25 and .50 after a dose of prime. So what does that tell me? Nitrites are dead zero. This tank is 6 months old. So should I do a 20 gallon water change ?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the tank recycled at some point. Not good. I would question the test kit though. Take a sample to your LFS and have them test to verify ammonia reading.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kit is not accurate after adding prime. Seachem says so on their website, from their faqs
cb89655a71496b7a712bc5cc8f327ccc.jpg

I believe API is Salicylate, so I should say less reliable, rather than not accurate

OP
OP
B

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting find, so in other words it could be a false reading. During all this madness I noticed my turbo snails spawned and I have hundreds of baby white turbos everywhere. I also noticed a pod outbreak too which is exciting.
f997fec8959184b13db66f1ad9e56050.heic
570095a4ada16c5d00485bb1207260d4.heic

I picked up these two colony’s today from a grand opening of a lfs locally hense why I was on overload of testing. I have been doing this for 20 years and had amazing sps dominant talks however it’s a new experience every time regardless.

OP
OP
B

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my water tonight. Ammonia is zero. So could have been the prime causing a false reading. Nitrates still 25-30ppm on the nyos. Everything looks happy for now. Just need to drop the nitrates.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back