Nitrates reading 0.0 - this CANNOT be true - What should do next?!?

Sniklefritz

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2025
Messages
69
Reaction score
34
Location
SoCal
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 1 year old 12 gallon nano AIO. Stock list: 3 torches 2-3 heads each, some zoas, a small goni (size of a baseball cut in half when fully extended), and a small acan bout 6 heads. 1 clown, 1 pygmy wasp fish, 1 dart fish, and a mandarin goby.

I'll admit, I've definitely been lazy about maintenance on it for the past few months and it and as a result it has developed some patches of GHA (not a full blown outbreak by any means) and corals aren't looking their greatest. So last night I did a ~50% water change and removed a good amount of the hair algae roughly 80% of it. Some small bits of it left, mostly in the hard to get to areas.

Tonight I decided to dust off the No3 HR and Po4 Hana test kits and came to find out that my No3 is at 0.0 and Po4 is at .08.... Tested No3 with a Salifert kit and its reading 0 as well. I'm SURE the left hover GHA is contributing to this, and I know its not truly 0, I'm just very surprised that after nearly 24 hours after removing the majority of the GHA and doing a feeding today that its showing 0...I really thought my results were going to be atrociously high based off my recent neglect.

What should I do to make this right?!? In a perfect world id like to get my corals looking healthier without making the left over GHA go crazy! I'm not sure how to accomplish that, so hoping someone has gone through something similar and can help guide me on how they handled it.

Should I.....
Shut off the skimmer?
Feed more?
Add something like Red Sea AB+?

I'm not in a panic, just hoping for a bit of guidance for this conundrum. Hopefully from some of you who have gone through this before.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new