Nitrates too low right?

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading either 0 or 0.2 on my salifert Nitrate test kit. Phosphates are in the low teens. I want to raise my nitrates a bit since i have a LPS/softie tank. i also have 2 little bushels of red gracilaria (maybe 2x3" each) in my 10 gallon. Should i dose nitrate or just remove one of the bushels. I'm worried if i remove one, that would impact my phosphates as well. Thoughts? I'm guessing my corals and the macros are both sucking up all the nitrates as algae is minimal in the tank right now.

OP
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to raise Nitrates? Low is good
My understanding is that low nitrates can lead to bad algae like dinos or cyano; and many LPS/soft corals prefer some nitrates in the water for better coloration and growth. I think SPS prefer lower nitrates

OP
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed your fish smaller meals throughout the day and move on. Also, if your corals look fine, don't worry about numbers, that'll just get you into trouble.
wouldn't that also raise my phosphates though? thsoe are already on the high end at 0.15ish.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My understanding is that low nitrates can lead to bad algae like dinos or cyano; and many LPS/soft corals prefer some nitrates in the water for better coloration and growth. I think SPS prefer lower nitrates
Not exactly. You're only measuring what's left over and what's currently in place. Again, if your corals look fine, don't worry. Trying to correct a problem that doesn't exist is where people go wrong and fast.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leftover uneaten food will raise phosphates, but fish waste/poo is food for coral. If you're worried about phosphates, then there are a number of ways to lower it. GFO, carbon dosing, phyto, etc....

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing nitrates using Neonitro (and a little bit of neophos here and there if it falls below .02). It has seemed to stop new corals from turning pastel in my tank.

If you don't mind regularly testing, I think dosing is the way to go in a smaller tank. I tried feeding heavy and it didn't make a dent. Also, the Salifert kit is so quick that its easy to monitor nitrates regularly when dosing. I test couple days and aim to keep it between 2.5 and 5 using the side view (between 25 and 50 on the card). Just requires me to add 2-3 mls a day in a 20 gallon. Get some neophos on hand just in case the extra nitrates start causing your phosphates to drop.

Also, if you aim for the lower bounds of "ideal ranges" it gives you a little bit of wiggle room to catch rising levels over time.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back