Nitrates won’t budge

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing Brightwell Neo nitro to raise Nitrates. So far I’ve dosed almost 250mL in 5 days into my 65g. My nitrates have not moved from 2 ppm or less. Using the Red Sea test kit and it’s new.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m only chasing a little as I believe they’ve been bottomed out and started my Dino’s
You are correct. You don't want to bottom out on Nitrate or Phosphate. I got dinos in my 150 the same exact way. You are correct in dosing Nitrates continue to dose. Don't do any water changes since your nutrients are low. Remove an Chaeto if you have it. I would slowly increase the nitrate dosage. Feed your fish more this is a chance you can feed your fish several times a day. Include reef roids if you have coral. I had a hard time increasing my nutrients and this is what I did to get it back up until I got my nitrates at a healthy 10 and I never complained again.

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience with that product. Bought some sodium nitrate and mixed myself, no problems after that.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either just add a few more fish and feed them more or feed your existing fish more.

Adding more fish is the easiest way with the increased food and waste load and as already said you don’t want low nitrate or you could run into issues and a good target is around 5-10ppm.

I would however recommend you keep phosphate very low at around 0.03ppm or less and you will avoid many of the problem issues you may read about. You may need to look at ways to keep this under control with increased feeding though, for example rowaphos

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing Brightwell Neo nitro to raise Nitrates. So far I’ve dosed almost 250mL in 5 days into my 65g. My nitrates have not moved from 2 ppm or less. Using the Red Sea test kit and it’s new.

When I first started dosing nitrates I saw the same thing. My corals were so starved they sucked up every bit I dosed. After a couple weeks I finally got readings the day after dosing and finally had to decrease a bit after the levels stabilized.

I agree that you will probably want to end up mixing your own after a while as the commercial products are more costly to use.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"1 ml NEONITRO will increase the nitrate concentration in 1 US-gallon (~3.8 L) by ~5 ppm; "

You added enough to boost nitrate by about 5 ppm per day. You tank could be using that. I'd dose more if you want it higher and you believe your kit. Measure as soon as it mixes in after dosing to see if the kit is detecting it when first added.

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would feed a little bit more and reduce water changes over the next week or two.

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also test every day to see if there’s any swing in parameters, and make any adjustments slowly.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific Sodium nitrate brands to purchase? Also does anyone have a recommendation on how much to mix to make X ppm?

im seeing a few on amazon, the Neo Nitro didn’t raise mine at all and I used the whole 500ML bottle in a little over a week

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific Sodium nitrate brands to purchase? Also does anyone have a recommendation on how much to mix to make X ppm?

im seeing a few on amazon, the Neo Nitro didn’t raise mine at all and I used the whole 500ML bottle in a little over a week

Any food grade is fine. Many people buy loudwold.

Use this calculator and the entry for potassium nitrate, then use 15% less than stated.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any food grade is fine. Many people buy loudwold.

Use this calculator and the entry for potassium nitrate, then use 15% less than stated.

Just checking before dosing this is the right stuff?

8EC5E571-8E3C-4897-9F4B-77016BE1C531.jpeg

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates is a much better option than feeding more. The food has to break down into nitrates, which takes time.

Another thing I have noticed about dosing nitrates, is the corals LOVE IT. I have noticed better color and growth while dosing.

It takes awhile for your tank to get saturated with nitrates if you were THAT low before.

I made my own DIY w/ potassium nitrate and its a much cheaper option than having to dose NEOnitrate from brightwell.

The people whom are saying "Just feed more," or don't chase are just parroting previous advice and don't have real experience with dosing nitrates IMO.

I keep my nitrates at 20-25ppm with an SPS dom tank. I dose a couple ppm every day

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your current bio load in your tank? And filtration? I’d turn off the skimmer during the night and test daily Over the next week.

See I think that's bad advice. We should be increasing import and export, not the other way around.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my skimmer off for over a week and dosed a whole bottle of Neo Nitro and I never got to 5ppm. The Red Sea kit is has to distinguish lower than 2 or between 2-5.
65gal

I’m currently stocked with a
3 clowns ranging from 1-3 inches
2 yellow tail damsels
2 chromis
1 neon goby
1 pink spotted watchman
Small yellow tang
Pistol shrimp
Coral banded shrimp
Some CUC

I run a filter sock and a Somatic 60s skimmer. I used to run a reactor with 80-20 carbon GFO but that’s been off for months. Currently just carbon in a media basket.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back