Nitrates!!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is clear, corals seem happy and my fish are doing great. I lost my Mandarin a few weeks ago but it was eating great and seemed happy so not sure what happened and I also lost my GBTA but it seemed sick since the day I brought her home. I had her for about 3 months. Salt 1.026
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Calcium 360
Alk 7.7
Mag 1350
Phosphate 0.1
3 days ago, today Nitrate back at 40ppm.
Thank you for asking.
If your fish and corals are doing fine don't worry about it. The best my tank ever looked was when I just left it alone. I've tried chasing numbers because my nitrates were too high compared to everyone else's and I tried nopox, vodka and biopellets and all three times my nitrates went up and I had nitrites as well (probably why my nitrates tested high) and my chaeto started to waste away. Now I only dose All for reef and RODI top off water and it's starting to look better again. I still test just looking for trends and I went from 50-100 ppm nitrates when carbon dosing down to about 20-25 with just chaeto. I don't know why but zoas are my canaries if they look bad something is off. My Daisy cutters are the reason I double checked my Hanna alk checker kept getting low numbers and was bumping up the dose and then double checked because they wouldn't open and found that my alk was at 12 instead of the 4.4 I was getting with the Hanna. Good luck.

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish and corals are doing fine don't worry about it. The best my tank ever looked was when I just left it alone. I've tried chasing numbers because my nitrates were too high compared to everyone else's and I tried nopox, vodka and biopellets and all three times my nitrates went up and I had nitrites as well (probably why my nitrates tested high) and my chaeto started to waste away. Now I only dose All for reef and RODI top off water and it's starting to look better again. I still test just looking for trends and I went from 50-100 ppm nitrates when carbon dosing down to about 20-25 with just chaeto. I don't know why but zoas are my canaries if they look bad something is off. My Daisy cutters are the reason I double checked my Hanna alk checker kept getting low numbers and was bumping up the dose and then double checked because they wouldn't open and found that my alk was at 12 instead of the 4.4 I was getting with the Hanna. Good luck.
Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back