Nitrite and ammonia spike

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to summarize because the dots aren't necessarily connecting right now.

-Fish are breathing heavy and lethargic
-Inverts are unaffected
-0.25 API ammonia reading
-new fish added in last 4 days
-Symptoms began after 10G water change with conditioned tap water

Healthy inverts rules out an ammonia issue, I think. It also rules out an issue with the tap water. That leaves the new fish addition.

The timing with the water change is a bit suspect but maybe it was a coincidence or stress from it that triggered something?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to summarize because the dots aren't necessarily connecting right now.

-Fish are breathing heavy and lethargic
-Inverts are unaffected
-0.25 API ammonia reading
-new fish added in last 4 days
-Symptoms began after 10G water change with conditioned tap water

Healthy inverts rules out an ammonia issue, I think. It also rules out an issue with the tap water. That leaves the new fish addition.

The timing with the water change is a bit suspect but maybe it was a coincidence or stress from it that triggered something?
I’m at a loss myself. I haven’t done anything different than I usually do or have been doing in the past. The new fish was the splendid dottyback and he was immediately swimming after addition. Tank has been perfectly fine up until the water change today around 2-3pm.

No corals in the tank so I doubt that anything released any toxins. I have a dolabella sea hare moving along my rocks right now, anemone open and hosting 1 of the 2 clownfish. Urchin and crabs moving around.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said that you did not disturb your substrate, but did you remove/ clean any of your filtration media?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped. Hopefully Jay or someone else can come up with something. Are you able to purchase some RODI or pre made saltwater from your LFS for another water change? Absent any diagnosis, I'd be looking to perform a large water change.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approaching 45 minutes after a quick 5GAL change.
Salinity has dropped to 1.026. Respiration seems to have slowed down a little bit but the melanurus wrasse and yellowtail splendid dottyback are laying on the sand. I’m stumped…
I know you said that you did not disturb your substrate, but did you remove/ clean any of your filtration media?
No, I haven’t touched that. Last filter cleaning was about 2-3 weeks ago.
I'm stumped. Hopefully Jay or someone else can come up with something. Are you able to purchase some RODI or pre made saltwater from your LFS for another water change? Absent any diagnosis, I'd be looking to perform a large water change.
They closed at 6pm EST and I doubt any local reefer would be able to spare some water at this hour (8:44pm).

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, conditioned tap water. And no, I didn’t disturb the sandbed. My apartment will not allow an install of an RODI unit without a plumber coming out to make the install. Inverts are present but they seem unaffected.
I would just get a rodi system that hooks up to your faucet and connect it when you make water. Your not "installing" anything.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One victim: Fiji blue devil damsel. Just found him.
And this was a healthy fish before the water change?

I have a BRS 4 stage. But if money is tight I'm sure you could find some red light specials on amazon.
they have a model with a pump, but I would get a

AQUATICLIFE Smart Buddie Booster Pump for 50-100 GPD Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Systems RO/DI Units​

as it is quieter since it is in a housing.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this was a healthy fish before the water change?

I have a BRS 4 stage. But if money is tight I'm sure you could find some red light specials on amazon.
they have a model with a pump, but I would get a

AQUATICLIFE Smart Buddie Booster Pump for 50-100 GPD Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Systems RO/DI Units​

as it is quieter since it is in a housing.
I’ll check those out.

Yeah, perfectly healthy. Swimming around, eating all prepared foods (pellets, flakes, frozen) and greeting me when I go to look at the tank. He was a model citizen and I’ll miss him.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss I wish there was something more to point at. One of my last fish that I lost was a blue devil damsel and it was a trooper. It went through three eight hour car rides one in winter without a heater in the car. I hope you are able to figure it out. If you do please let us know.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss I wish there was something more to point at. One of my last fish that I lost was a blue devil damsel and it was a trooper. It went through three eight hour car rides one in winter without a heater in the car. I hope you are able to figure it out. If you do please let us know.
I just did another 5gal water change of buffered and conditioned water. Honestly if I can’t get this figured out, may need to take off work tomorrow to get this sorted.

People seem to have perked up a little bit. The sole chromis out of 7 is swimming openly now, clowns seem to have a little more energy. The melanurus, dottyback and Midas blenny are giving me some stress though. But the wrasse seems to be swimming openly too as of right now.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt (black bucket) and I think it comes out to around 1.026 - .028 when mixed. Nothing has died to my knowledge. I added 1 fish within the last 4 days.

It comes to 1.026 when using a half a cup per gallon

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you nailed it. WC are always stressful for fish. The new fish wasn’t acclimated yet and might have been carrying parasites or disease that surfaced when the stress levels went up.

Now the other fish are affected as well. I would bet that’s the culprit.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point do you quarantine your new fish?
I had a quarantine tank but I took it down over Christmas to make some space for decorations since I hadn’t added any new fish until recently. I think this is the first addition in like 4 months. So I didn't quarantine this addition.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 gallons change since starting thread:

Midas blenny has started swimming openly, wrasse is swimming openly but still a little lethargic, the chromis is out openly. Clowns are more energetic and approaching me. Watchmen goby is out and sifting sand. No eyes on the splendid yellowtail dotryback or pink barred goby.

Dolabella sea hare is hidden now but he was seen cruising the rocks and the anemone is still open.

I might have saved the tank. But we shall see in the morning. Fiancée is going to watch the tank over the night. I’m nervous but hopeful.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back